Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Sitting lower or higher on a seat illusion

• Spinrecovery
  • Topic Author

Spinrecovery created the topic: Sitting lower or higher on a seat illusion

Hi,
I am just wondering if I a pilot who sits lower on the seat will have the illusion of being higher than he is which leads to a lower approach.
Does this mean that sitting lower will obscure the overshoot or undershoot when landing?
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Sitting lower or higher on a seat illusion

I haven't seen this particular situation identified as causing an illusion so I can only give you my opinion. For an aircraft on final approach there is always going to be a point on the runway at which the correct approach path intersects the runway surface. If you are sitting too low in the seat, that point is likely to be hidden under the nose, giving the impression that you are too high. If you are sitting too high in the seat, that point will appear further ahead of the nose giving the impression that you are too low. Large aircraft have a 'design eye position' that defines a particular spot in the cabin where the pilot's eye should be and the seat can be adjusted fore and aft and up and down to place the pilot's eye at that spot.

As I said, that's just my opinion so I'm interested to hear any other suggestions.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds