Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

A Couple Questions on TEM

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa created the topic: A Couple Questions on TEM

Hey guys,
I've come across a couple TEM questions on the forum and in the book I'd like some help on.

1)
A pilot uses a long and expired chart. He flew into CTA? Which one is the error?
A. expired chart
B. flew into CTA
C. near mid are collision

I’ve thought a bit about this one. Not really sure what you would consider the right answer. In my opinion using a expired charts is an organisational threat linked possibly with a latent threat. Is the error using the expired chart what lead to being in an UAS in CTA? Would using a expired chart be classified as a procedural error?

Or it goes against my common sense and doesn’t seem right, could the error also be flying into CTA (aircraft handling error)

2)
A pilot carrying out a practice solo forced landing, fails to select carby heat hot. Carby ice forms during the descent and the aircraft fails to climb out normally on the go around. This is an example of:
1) Handling error leading to undersired handling state (book says this is correct) - implying that the handling error is not selecting carby heat?
2) Handling error leading to undersired configuration state
3) Procedural error leading to undersired handling state - I said this one as my answer. Wouldn't forgetting to select carby heat be a part of a checklist/procedure? Also not putting carby heat cold on climb out thus a procedural error?

Also isn't the aircraft in an undersired configuration state? The aircraft is trying to climb out but due to a missetting of carby heat it cannot.

A pilot trains for the emergency procedures for landing (drill), instead of saying 70kt, he said 80 knots... which error?
a. handling error X
b. Communication error
c. Procedural error (not sure what the answer is, would it be procedural error? Communication error is when interacting with others?)

You suffer a radio failure and whilst distracted fixing it you violate CTA without a clearance. Under TEM, what action should you take once you become aware of the CTA violation?
a) keep fixing the radio and advise ATC asap
b) check your aeronautical chart for the quickest route back into class G
c) follow the radio failure procedure in ERSA
d) conduct a 180 degree turn and listen out for instructions

Since the aircraft is in a undersired aircraft state being in CTA, the first priority should be to fix the UAS and get the aircraft out of CTA. Would the answer be (B)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: A Couple Questions on TEM

Hi Jack,

Here's my take on your questions:

#1: (a) is the threat (b) is the error (handling) and (c) is a UAS. Apart from that, you can't have two correct answer options in the exam and (b) is definitely an error so ignore (a) and (c) ;-)

#2: The problem with choosing option 3 is the question did not indicate the pilot failed to select carbie heat because he missed the item on a checklist. It is of course possible the pilot was working from some form of checklist, even if it was just in his head, but you cannot work on that assumption as far as the question is concerned. Not selecting carbie heat when required is a handling error. Also, the subsequent climb out with ice present and carbie heat COLD would be, in my opinion, an undesired aircraft configuration state. Undesired Handling States usually refer to speed/altitude deviations, operations outside of limits, weather penetration or unauthorised controlled airspace penetration as well as unstable approaches/ landings. If the book says option 1 is the answer, that might be an errata. I'll check it out...

#3: This one depends on the exact wording of the question stem. If it refers to a pilot is simply going through the emergency drills in his head and he mistakenly says 80 kts while stepping through the engine failure checklist, then I would call that a procedural error since the pilot made a mistake with the checklist. However, if it actually happened in flight and the pilot really did trim for 80kts instead of 70 then this is a handling error (and an undesired aircraft handling state). Setting 80kts is the handling error.

#4: You would need to manage the UAS (being in controlled airspace without a clearance) but you would still need to follow expected procedures while managing the UAS. (c) looks like the correct answer here as ERSA gives the guidance on what actions you should take e.g. squawking 7600, listening our for instructions etc.

My 2 cents :)

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: A Couple Questions on TEM

Here are some more thoughts on #4, Jack.

In ERSA there are no specific instructions for actions if you penetrate controlled airspace with a radio failure. You could therefore well argue that option (c) does not apply and is therefore incorrect. (a) and (b) can be discounted anyway, which only leaves option (d).

The problem with (d) is a 180 degree turn might not always be the most direct route out of controlled airspace. For example, a descent may be the quickest way out. If you penetrated airspace at a tangent, a 90 degree turn would be more appropriate. The point is, you want to get out of controlled airspace as quickly as possible so option (d) probably represents best what the examiner wants to hear. Unfortunately the way it is written makes it a hard call as "180 degrees" may not always be applicable.

Cheers,

Rich

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa replied the topic: A Couple Questions on TEM

Thanks heaps Richard, really cleared up a lot of things. My only other thing I am struggling with is the difference between linear and angular acceleration in the vestibular and otolithic devices. So rolling, yaw and pitch are all angular accelerations sensed by the vestibular device. Linear is straight line acceleration (otolithic), so would accelerating in a climb be considered a linear acceleration? And one more question below...

What is the PRIMARY sensory illusion in IMC condition?
- ear and proprioceptive
- acceleration motion in ear and proprioceptive (would this one be the answer or is it A?)
- eyes and ear

Thanks heaps for your help

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds