Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Time of Useful Consciousness [EPT]

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Nick created the topic: Time of Useful Consciousness [EPT]

Hi Bob!

First of all, thank you so much for your books! So far across my first 4 CPL exams my overall average is sitting at 85% (silly mistakes in two of the exams got to me but such is life when they were still first time passes :laugh: )

I'm just getting into the pre-study for my HPL exam in ~4weeks. I was looking at your EPT tables, and remembered that it was also in the BAK book.

I'm a little confused though because the numbers are different across the two books (BAK & CPL HPL).

Could you confirm which ones I should adhere by?

BAK (Issue 17 July 2011)
Alt - Mod Activity - Sitting Quietly
20000 - 5min - 10min
30000 - 45sec - 1.25min

40000 - 20sec - 30sec

CPL HPL (Issue 7 July 2011)
Alt - Mod Activity - Sitting Quietly
20000 - 10min - 20min
25000 - 3min - 5min
30000 - 1min - 3min

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Nick replied the topic: Time of Useful Consciousness [EPT]

Hey Bob/Richard...

Unsure if you've seen this but I'm coming up to my CPL HPL Exam on Monday and wondering which figures I should believe :)

Thanks!

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Time of Useful Consciousness [EPT]

Hi Nick,

I'd have to check this one with Bob. The ranges to be found for EPT seem to vary widely but those from the BAK seem to be more consistent with figures I have seen elsewhere. I will check with Bob and see if there is another errata due. For reference, here are some figures I have found to be useful for flight crew:

20000 - up to 30 minutes
25000 - 2-3 minutes
30000 - 45-75 seconds
45000 - less than 15 seconds.

and here are some more:

20000 - less than 10 mts
25000 - 2.5 mts or less
30000 - Appx 30 sec
37000 - Appx 18 sec
45000 - Appx 15 sec

As you can see, there does not seem to be a consensus on the exact figures. What is important for the exam though will be the magnitude of time available i.e. minutes or seconds.

Good luck tomorrow!

Cheers,

Rich

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Nick replied the topic: Time of Useful Consciousness [EPT]

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the response! It worries me that something pike this could be a question in an exam when not even casa provides accurate times!

Fortunately, I didn't end up with any EPT figures in my exams anyway, and apart from hindsight on a silly mistake and some curly TEM questions I ended up with 88% which I'm happy with!

Now onto law for next Mondays exam! Ergh.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Time of Useful Consciousness [EPT]

I have e-mailed Canberra on this one, and the reply was that they don't know what reference was used to establish the answers to the ETP questions because they were written before any of the present examiners were employed. He said he was aware of the large range of numbers floating about on Google etc. He said the CASA answers were spread widely enough to allow students to still choose the most correct answer. Hope so!!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the numbers in the latest CPL Performance book were the last hint I got from CASA. In any case, the feed-back I've had lately seems to indicate that ETP as numbers of minutes are not being asked.

Good luck with your future study

Bob

• Totalreaction

Totalreaction replied the topic: Time of Useful Consciousness [EPT]

They do ask these questions in the ATPL exam though. I had one today, and guessed incorrectly.
For anyone who might read this, I found a table from an ATSB report, which seems to match the CASA exam question and have attached it.
TR
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds