Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Briefings: Listed as both a System counter measure

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter created the topic: Briefings: Listed as both a System counter measure

G'day all,

Can anyone please shed some light on this for me:

"•Systemic Countermeasures: electronic or mechanical devices or SOP's and checklists to ensure proper pilot actions:

â—¦stall warning devices
â—¦systems failure warnings e.g. annunciator panels
â—¦airborne collision avoidance systems (ACAS)
â—¦Briefings and training

•Planning Countermeasures: actions taken before departure to ensure safe and proper operation of the flight:

â—¦flight planning,

â—¦briefing,

â—¦contingency planning

I Suspect the "briefing" referred to in Systematic Countermeasures are specifically in reference to training? But if in the exam the question is asked what category a briefing would fall under, which is the "more correct" answer - a systematic countermeasure or Planning Counter measure?

With thanks,

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Briefings: Listed as both a System counter measure

Hi Andy,

My understanding of planning countermeasures is that they relate to the actual flight at hand and take place while still on the ground before take-off. So, briefings in this case would include pre-departure briefings such as actions in case of an emergency etc etc.

Compare that to briefings incorporated as part of an operator's implementation of systemic countermeasures. These would encompass things such as briefings on SOPs, best practices, route changes etc.

Cheers,

Rich

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter replied the topic: Briefings: Listed as both a System counter measure

Tx Rich, I think I get it but, just to make sure, would I be right if I said:

SYSTEMIC counter measures (briefings) are; "Ground" based in nature as part of the Organisations advancement of safety related issues

as opposed to

PLANNING Counter measures (briefings) are; "in aircraft" based in nature as part of the flight of the day?

sorry don't mean to be labouring the point, just want to make sure that I'm hearing the same thing as what I think your saying.

Much Tx

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Briefings: Listed as both a System counter measure

Hi Andy,

That's pretty close but I don't think the briefing as planning countermeasure has to necessarily occur in the aircraft. I believe the focus is on the flight about to take place. In that case the co-pilot briefing the captain on the current synoptic and possible weather hazards before they have even left operations would still constitute a planning countermeasure in my books.

So, I would edit your definitions and put it like this:

SYSTEMIC countermeasures (briefings) are part of the Organisations advancement of safety related issues
as opposed to
PLANNING Countermeasures (briefings) concern the actual flight about to take place

Here are a couple of examples as I understand them:
* Pre-departure Briefing = planning countermeasure
* Briefing on company SOPs which apply in case of an emergency before take-off = systemic countermeasure
* Attending a CASA Fatigue Management seminar = systemic countermeasure
* Weather briefing from the Met office = planning countermeasure
* Chief pilot briefing a new pilot on hazards in the area when flying in marginal conditions = systemic countermeasure

Cheers,

Rich

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter replied the topic: Briefings: Listed as both a System counter measure

Much obliged Richard, that makes good sense.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds