Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Committed Error

• Stracey
  • Topic Author

Stracey created the topic: Committed Error

Hi Bob/Richard

After doing your course on HPL in Redcliffe earlier this year, I sat my HPL exam and passed quite easily. I'm now looking through my KDRs and I'm really struggling with one particular question.

"Give an example of a committed error and how action could be taken to ensure safety of flight."

I very clearly remember looking at this question in the exam and thinking.. what is that?? An error may be classified as handling errors, procedural errors or communications errors. External and internal threats may lead to errors on the part of the pilot. So if a committed error is not a classification of an error what is it's definition?

This might sound like a silly question but sitting in the exam and thinking as logically as I could, I thought, ok, a committed error must be an error which has been committed by the pilot, right? Wrong. Out of the 4 answers given, only one was a pilot error, that is the one I selected and as a result, I now have this KDR. So having sat here and thought about it some more, could it mean an error made and the pilot has committed himself to go through with it without realizing? I honestly don't know.

I can't find much reference or any definition in the CAAP 5.59-1, except to say on page 46 "The important point is that the error was recognized by the pilot, acknowledged and corrective action was taken. Instructors must afford the trainee the opportunity to recognize a committed error rather than intervening as soon as they see an error committed, they must wait (if time allows) to see if the error is identified by the trainee." This suggests a committed error is an error committed by the pilot?

On page 54 "Applies checklists and standard operating procedures to prevent aircraft handling, procedural or communication errors and identifies committed errors before safety is affected or aircraft enters an undesired aircraft state."

Perhaps I'm getting in a fuss over nothing but it frustrates me that virtually nothing is mentioned of committed error in this CAAP and when it pops up in a CASA exam, logic seems to fail.

Any help with this KDR and or a definition would be a massive help.

Cheers

Richard S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds