Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

TEM exam pass, what a relief

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook created the topic: TEM exam pass, what a relief

G'day Everyone

Passed my HPL exam yesterday, had the fear of God put in me by a testing officer at the centre who had obtained feedback from Students. The BT Cyber exams were useful, as was the TEM CAAP 5.59-1 (0) Interesting how CASA actually took it upon themselves to expand the original definitions provided by the University of Texas... CASA CASA CAAP download www.casa.gov.au/download/CAAPs/ops/5_59_1.pdf

Apparently about 25% of the questions are on TEM so wise to study that and pay particular attention to the TEM definitions.

Well that's 5 down for me with 2 to go, but one tip I can give you (I got this right then went back and made it wrong) if you happen to be responding to a certain systemic countermeasure ( say when turning final for example, and a stall warning was to come on), then give strong consideration as to whether you are responding to a UAS or an unexpected threat.

Overall found the exam easier than the others, but the TEM questions there to trip you up. Enjoyed and got good value out the HPL subjects that were useful elsewhere even outside of Aviation, however found SOME of the TEM definitions more a matter of playing with Semantics than practicalities.

The main thing I got out of the CAAP was a Threat CAN lead to an Error, which can lead to a UAS. However it is also important to understand that a Threat can lead Directly to an UAS bypassing the error stage.

I got an enhanced understanding from page 48 of the CAAP section 14.3.6 which is actually aimed at instructors, which shows the flow.

Thanks Again Bob and Richard for you great publication, after Air Law I'm looking forward very much to your online performance course.

Brook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

rubber replied the topic: Re: TEM exam pass, what a relief

Hi Brook,

Well done on your exam result, and thanks for the advice.

Responding to your systemic countermeasure example, I would expect that the stall warning can be considered an indication of an UAS, no?

rubber

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook replied the topic: Re: TEM exam pass, what a relief

Thanks Rubber!

Guess what, it's not a UAS until the ACTUAL stall! So that would make it an unexpected error...

Brook

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: TEM exam pass, what a relief

Good on you Brook - well done. Not far to go now hey?

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: TEM exam pass, what a relief

Well done Brook. Another one down mate. Excellent.

By the way, just to be pedantic, the stall won't be an "unexpected error". Threats can be categorised as "unexpected" but not errors. I think you may have meant to say "unexpected threat" in your last post.

Depending on how they worded the question (and yes that plays a BIG part in correctly answering TEM questions) you would say you are managing an undesired aircraft state by reacting to the systemic countermeasure (the stall horn). I wouldn't call the stall horn an unexpected threat though. Again it depends on the subtleties of the wording...

Cheers,

Rich

• brook
  • Topic Author

Thanks Brenton, looking forward to getting there, and beyond!

• brook
  • Topic Author

Thanks Richard!

You are right, I made an unexpected error, what I meant to say rubber was "unexpected threat".......responding to a systemic countermeasure, with a review countermeasure, due to an unexpected threat (I had selected UAS)

Got into the Air Law today, oohh it's exciting stuff...

Brook

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds