Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Revision Set 9 - Question 1 - Tiredness

• brentonrule
  • Topic Author

brentonrule created the topic: Revision Set 9 - Question 1 - Tiredness

Hi Bob, Rich..

This question has me stumped.

During which periods will you find it the most difficult to stay awake?

The answer you have is (c) 3-5am

When looking at the circadian rythms the charts show that bodly functions all go progressively down (as you enter your sleep pattern) from about 10pm and after 3am they start to move upwards. My answer is (b) 10pm - 2am, as this most closely aligns with the times when the rythms are going "SOUTH" and you want to nod off.

I have always found that after about 3am I start feeling better as I know the sun will soon be up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Revision Set 9 - Question 1 - Tiredness

Hi Brenton,

This post slipped under the radar but better late than never :P

If you look at the graph of variations in performance (underneath the graph of the temperature cycle), you will see the performance stats are at their lowest in the period from 3-5am. Now, there will be variation amongst individuals but in general, that time is when most people are at their lowest ebb. It is no coincidence that most natural deaths occur in the early hours of the morning.

Between 10 pm and, say, 1 am, your temperature and performance levels are still relatively high so theoretically most will find it easier to stay awake.

You mentioned that you feel better in that period because you know the sun will soon be up. Perhaps your "good" feelings are mainly psychological and maybe they are also triggered by your rising body temperature and performance. Your rhythms have passed through the trough and are now heading back up towards alertness. Who knows? There is always room for individual variation. I for one feel totally shite at 3 in the morning :)

Anyway, as far as the question is concerned, from the answer options given, most people will find it hardest to stay awake between 3 and 5 am since that is when their temperature and performance are at their lowest.

It's all fascinating stuff.

Cheers,

Rich

• Ninja9

Ninja9 replied the topic: Re: Revision Set 9 - Question 1 - Tiredness

i just wanted to add that as the son of a former funeral director, it is true , most natural deaths do occur between the hours of 3 am and 5 am.
i always felt as we were driving to pick up said client that there had to be a reason for this and now it has been confirmed, cheers

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds