Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

Air Law: Use CASA search

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard created the topic: Air Law: Use CASA search

If you are studying Air Law and are having trouble finding a particular regulation in CAR, CASR, CAO or even something in the CAAPs there is a very handy way to quickly find the information you need.

On the CASA website, there is a search box up in the top right hand corner.

If you type in your search term (e.g. smoking ) ...

... a long list of search results will come up.

If you can't find what you want, you can then further restrict those results by selecting the relevent area of the CASA website e.g. "CARs, CAOs and CAAPs"

Try different search terms and also try enclosing set phrases in quotes e.g. "alternate requirements".

Now, it's not perfect and you might have to check out a CAAP (for example) to find the CAR reference behind it.

Alternatively you can go directly to the ComLaw website and check out the regs online. Find the entry for Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 Current and click on the link.

When you load one of the volumes in your web browser, you can use the browser's inbuilt "Search" or "Find" function to find the text you are looking for.

This search function is normally activated with a keyboard shortcut such as CTRL+F (Firefox) or you can access it via the browser's menubar. Check out the Help section of your browser if you don't know how to access the search function.

Don't forget Air Services Australia also has the complete (and current) AIP, ERSA+RDS and DAPs online.

Needless to say, online searches will not be available to you in the exam. You will still need to get used to using the index in your copy of the regs and your tabs to find your way around.

Cheers and happy studying!,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Air Law: Use CASA search - my TOC

Hi Richard, I am posting this TOC as it was a very useful study tool. I developed this as I was going through your book; naturally I did not take this into the exam. Pitty this sort of thing is not 'generally' available as it would make life a LOT easier - especially for air law.

Regards, Brenton
Attachments:

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard replied the topic: Re: Air Law: Use CASA search - my TOC

Thanks Brenton. You've done a great job with that!

• grahamjrees

grahamjrees replied the topic: Re: Air Law: Use CASA search - my TOC

Hey Richard

Forgive the dumb question. Which one(s) of the following do I need to buy for my PPLA studies and exam, or does the wise student just buy them all?

CAR
CAO
CAAP
AIP

Thanks.

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Hi Graham,

The official CASA equipment list for the PPL exam can be found under this link:

casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90074

Theoretically you are supposed to have up-to-date copies of the AIP, CAO, CAR and CAAP. However, for the PPL exam it is possible to replace the $600+ worth of regulations with a self printed copy of the Visual Flight Rules guide as long as you take note of the following CASA warning: *The VFG may not contain updated regulations, orders and/or procedures. As exam questions are based on current laws and procedures, use of the VFG should be supported by current publications"

In our PPL classses we advise students to stick with the VFG. Please note the VFG can only be used in the PPL exam. You'll need a full copy of the regs for the CPL.

The VFG can be found here:

www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90008

We also have a free E-Text version of it on this site if you want to check it out:

www.bobtait.com.au/forum/helpful-tips-an...es-guide-free-e-text

As for the CAAP, there are only 3 of any importance: CAAP 92-1 (aircraft landing areas), CAAP 234-1 (fuel requirements) and CAAP 5.59-1 (Threat and Error Management or TEM) That last one is essential reading for understanding TEM - especially sections 13-15 but it can't be taken into the exam. Only CAAP 92-1 and 234-1 can be used in the exam as a reference and self-printed copies are OK.

You will still need a copy of ERSA and the PCA chart.

Cheers,

Rich

• grahamjrees

grahamjrees replied the topic: Re: Air Law: Use CASA search - my TOC

Richard

For saving me $600, my eternal thanks!!!

Graham

• Richard
  • Topic Author

No worries - enjoy the extra couple of hours flying hours you'll get for that B)

• Thank you received: 2

rubber replied the topic: Air Law: Use CASA search

Dear Rich,

I completed my CPL over three years ago and the regulations have changed considerably. I have recently reprinted the CAR and CAO documents as it was less expensive than purchasing the bound documents again.

Searching online, like you have suggested is helpful, but I find that having the physical copies to refer to as well enables me to understand the structure and hierarchy of the regulations somewhat better than when sifting through them on-line. Plus I can make notes in them, and highlight important details.

As I am an instructor now, I would like to maintain these up-to-date hard copies as references for use during theory lessons.

Is there a way to receive email notifications from CASA or the ComLaw website about new amendments to these documents so I can update specific sections my collection of regulations as they occur?

How do you keep on top of all this at your school?

Cheers, rubber

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Air Law: Use CASA search

How do you keep on top of all this at your school?

With great difficulty!

• Thank you received: 2

rubber replied the topic: Air Law: Use CASA search

So is there any way to receive notifications of ammendments or updates?

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds