Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

Footwear

• PeterG
  • Topic Author

PeterG created the topic: Footwear

I told you I'll post some weird questions. In all seriousness, though i hope i got the correct forum.
What shoes/boots do military pilots wear and are they available for general public. are they really suitable for GA in terms of comfort, functionality and asthetics?
I would like to know.

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Footwear

Peter,

I don't know what the RAAF pilots wear in the cockpit but for normal GA flying I would say any flat-soled, covered footwear is suitable (i.e. no stilettos and no thongs/sandals). The main thing is you feel comfortable in them and they provide some support for your foot.

For me, I would hate to wear a pair of military boots - they'd be too hot and uncomfortable for my taste. That might just be me though. Undoubtedly some feel much more comfortable in that kind of gear and would see no problem with it. Horses for courses.

I prefer normal sneakers and when working charters I always wore some kind of black leather shoes bought el cheapo from Target.

As for aesthetics - flying skills will always count more than the cut of your shoes :P

Cheers,

Rich

CORRECTION: my dear wife has just read this post over my shoulder and pointed out that I did NOT wear el cheapo black leather shoes. They were in fact my wedding shoes and I wore them until they literally fell apart :laugh:

• Mark Bolton

Mark Bolton replied the topic: Re: Footwear

I once went flying in an RV - 6 wearing MAC workboots and had to retrim the plane when I put my feet on the rudders.

True story.

• zulugurl

zulugurl replied the topic: Re: Footwear

That's why I fly floats - don't need any shoes! :D

• Mark Bolton

You fly float planes ? How cool is that ! I have always wanted to fly a float plane. I have a mate who used to fly Catalinas.

• PeterG
  • Topic Author

PeterG replied the topic: Re: Footwear

I think Parafield will up the landing fees if i try to park a float plane there.

• zulugurl

zulugurl replied the topic: Re: Footwear

Yep :D - come and do it here with us in Port Macquarie! Bill Lane taught me - he's been teaching for 41 years! I'd give anything to fly a Catalina - went to see the one SPAA brought into the country 2 years ago when it came thru here - was lucky enough to get inside too!

what do you fly? the goggles?

• Mark Bolton

I used to fly the Tiger 37 that was online at Jandakot. That is quite an old photo. Now I am building an airplane. Not far from completion.

• blinkymorris

blinkymorris replied the topic: Re: Footwear

RAAF pilots wear what we called flying boots - sounds like I am being smart but the RAAF used to issue us fitters steel caps for work, GP's for going bush etc they usually quite still, high ankle lace ups wheres the pilots flying boots had a zip on the side & were very soft.

I have a pair of "mongrel boots" issued by the Antarctic division & they are close to the RAAF pilot issue boots.

Look at disposal stores for what they have & ask questions, some of the guys may know where you could get a pair maybe?

Last I saw before I left the defence force a lot of guys buy their own boots for comfort etc

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds