Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

CPL Exams & 150 hour integrated course warning

• Stew330
  • Topic Author

Stew330 created the topic: CPL Exams & 150 hour integrated course warning

Hey everyone,

Just a quick warning so that people don't make the same mistake I did. If you're in a 150 hour integrated CPL course, before you attempt any CPL exam, you need either a GFPT, GFPT competencies eg. 5 hours command and 2 hours IF; or 5 hours cross country solo time.

When I did my CPL AGK & CPL HP&L, I didn't have those hours at the time, which I've now realised and I have to do the exams again. What is a real kick in the guts, is that the CASA charges $150 to remove the exams from their system! Plus the $140 odd to resit.

So, hopefully I can save a few people from making this mistake and having to give the CASA more money, not to mention having to sit the exams again with the possibility of getting a worse mark than first go.

I'm just going to try and get a positive out of it and beat the 88% I got in the first place. (using Bob Tait books)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: CPL Exams & 150 hour integrated course warning

Wow, that's bad luck.
I had the same problem when I was a CFI. Students were doing the 'easy' exams first without telling me before we could warn them about the consequences. Back in those days, there was no option to remove then re-sit exams they were just no longer able to do the 150 hour syllabus and went straight into the 200 hour CPL.

Even though you now have to pay extra and re-sit what you have already done, it's still cheaper than doing the extra hours you might not have in the budget.

Good heads up though for the unaware

For those looking for the reference. Day VFR Syllabus page 11 as shown below.

2.8. The Approved CPLA Training Course (150 hours)
The Approved CPLA Training Course is intended to be an integrated course of both theory and practical aviation training. To ensure a suitable level of integration, and in addition to the examination requirements for pre-solo and pre-area solo, the following conditions apply.
(a) A student pilot must have accumulated at least 5 hours dual flying training before he/she may be credited
with a pass in the BAK examination.

(b) A student pilot must have commenced cross-country training and passed the BAK examination before
he/she may be credited with a pass in CASA PPLA theory examination (where applicable).

(c) A student pilot must have accumulated at least 5 hours PIC cross country flight time before he/she may be
credited with a pass in the CASA CPLA written examination. Additionally he/she must have passed the
BAK examination before attempting the CPLA written examination.

(d) Alternatively, the CPLA subject examination may be attempted after the following phases of training have been achieved:
(i) after passing the General Flying Progress Test (GFPT), or achieving the competencies for the GFPT (as specified in the GFPT Achievement Record):
•
Aerodynamics
•
Human Factors
•
Aircraft General Knowledge (AGK)
•
Meteorology

(ii) after accumulating 5 hours pilot in command cross country time, or achieving the competencies of the PPL (as specified in the PPL Achievement Record)
•
Navigation
•
Aircraft Operation, Performance and Flight Planning
•
Flight Rules and Air Law.

(e) To be credited with a pass in any of the examinations
as specified in (c) and (d), the examination sitting must take place after the pre-requisites have been fulfilled. If a student attempts and passes an examination before meeting the pre-requisites, then that pass cannot be credited towards the approved course and the student will have to apply to CASA to resit and pass the exam again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds