Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

Visual Flight Rules Guide (Free E-Text)

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard created the topic: Visual Flight Rules Guide (Free E-Text)

E-TEXT: VISUAL FLIGHT RULES GUIDE
(CASA Version: 26/11/2011)

Click the image to open the VFG in a new window.

For those of you who don't know CASA's Visual Flight Rules Guide, it is an excellent resource for all VFR pilots freely available from CASA's website . It isn't updated as often as the AIP unfortunately, so it doesn't replace the official docs but it still contains a heap of reference material in an easy-to-read form. Since I had some spare time (between 2am and 3am every second Thursday), I decided to have a play with the VFG and put it into E-Text form for anyone who might find it useful.

This E-Text is fully searchable and has an integrated table of contents (unlike the orginal PDF). It turned out pretty well but due to quality limitations in the original CASA PDF, some pages may not appear as clear as we would like.

You are free to use this version as you wish, as long as you stick to the conditions specified in CASA's copyright declaration (see below). Also, please be aware of the following disclaimer, taken from the Visual Flight Rules Guide:
The VFG is occasionally updated and even though I will check the E-Text against CASA's version now and then, I cannot guarantee this is the most current one. If you find the E-Text is out of date, please let me know.

Remember, the reference version is always freely available in PDF form from CASA's website . A huge thanks to the staff at CASA who put together such an excellent resource.

I hope you find this online edition useful and feedback (positive or negative) is always welcome.

Cheers,

Rich

P.S. Please respect CASA's copyright:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard replied the topic: Re: Visual Flight Rules Guide (Free E-Text)

Update to the Visual Flight Guide:

The E-Text viewer for the VFG has been updated to version 2.2.28 which incorporates some nice improvements for people using mobile devices. If there are any problems, please let me know.

Cheers,

Rich

As a reminder, here are some of the features available on the mobile version of the E-Texts.

The Help Commands:
Table of contents:
Bookmarking a page for later:
And the bookmarked page with the Bookmarks Panel open and showing the new bookmark:
Direct entry of page numbers:
Full zoom:

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: Visual Flight Rules Guide (Free E-Text)

Great effort on this VFRG Richard. By the way I havn't forgotten to let you know about my progress towards my CPL. Getting time with an instructor to undertake the pre testing has been the issue(to get the recommmendation to do the actual test). I am almost there so hopefully will be fully qualified in the next month or so - the the champagne comes out.

Cheers to all the team up there, B

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Thanks Brenton. The credit goes to CASA though. They did a great job on the VFG and I hope one day it becomes more an official source of information than it is now.

Good luck with your flight test. Let us know when we can break out the champagne too!

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Update to the Visual Flight Guide:

No content changes but the E-Text has been re-created with a better search index.

• Richard
  • Topic Author

The E-Text viewer has been updated and now supports full-text search on iPads, Androids and other portable devices. It is one update I have personally been really hanging out for!

The VFG viewer has also been updated to version 2.3.14 so you can test out the new functionality. Here are some previews cross-posted from the official announcement here .
Full text search in action on the BAK E-Text.
The search term is entered into the text box you can see on the bottom right.

The last section of the on screen help system describing the search related functions.
Attachments:

• Richard
  • Topic Author

New E-Text Viewer Update to make use of features in Adobe Flash Player v.11+

There has been no update in content but the E-text viewer is the latest edition and correctly reflects the version used in all E-texts. It also offers better on screen navigation for portable devices.

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard replied the topic: New E-Text Viewer Version 2.4.3

This latest update addresses backwards compatibility with Flash v.10.3 as well as adding Windows 8 and iPhone 5 support. There have been numerous performance and bugfixes implemented and all E-Texts, Demo publications as well as the VFG have now been updated.

If you have any problems, please let me know.

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard replied the topic: New E-Text Viewer Version 2.4.5

This version restores search functionality missing in v.2.4.3 as well as minor internal changes. Please be sure to refresh your cache if your browser is not loading the new version.

Now you can also check which version is running by looking at the title bar of the E-Text. The E-Text version number appears after the CASA copyright.

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard
  • Topic Author

Richard replied the topic: New E-Text Viewer Version 2.4.5

New E-Text version updated to 2.4.33.

Minor changes including a better interface for mobile devices as well as allowing bookmarking and search in full screen mode on PC/Mac computers.

I have also added a section in the first post of this thread highlighting discrepancies we have found between the VFG and current regs.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds