Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

Oficial Sylabus doesn't match exams

• Thank you received: 837

Stuart Tait created the topic: Oficial Sylabus doesn't match exams

G'day Students, Bob, Marie and co.

I have had my CPL for a couple years now but have been medically grounded for much of those two years until just now. And so seeing as i now have a med cert again i'm trying to revise and i turned to the CASA website and the official CASA syllabus.

To my horror i found that the subject in the syllabus don't match up with the exam subject very nicely at all. EG Subject 4 is Radio Telephony but i can't find where in the document it say which exam this material is tested in?

any pointers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Oficial Sylabus doesn't match exams

Hi Cptdjb,

Welcome back into the mad world of aviation :)

There isn't a specific R/T exam as such (apart from getting your R/T permit as part of your flight training). R/T procedures will be examined as part of air law though e.g. departure reports and the like. Since R/T is a very practical area, it will be assessed more as part of your BFR or renewal.

if you want a good R/T reference guide, ATC has one and you can pick it up at any pilot shop or online from them direct. Here's a link:

aviationtheory.net.au/students/cat/ATB4104

By the way, despite the description, the CD-ROM version has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Let us know if you have any other questions,

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank you received: 837

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Re: Oficial Sylabus doesn't match exams

Thanks for that. My point wasn't so much about radio by itself, but that there seems to be some mismatches in the syllabus around what CASA say they wants one to know, and how they test one foye that knowledge. Trying to think of a clearer example but don't hsve three syllabus avbl

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Oficial Sylabus doesn't match exams

I know it can be tricky to see exactly what is examined in which exam as there is so much overlap anyway. For example, features of Nav touch on Met, Air Law as well as Performance.

If you're just trying to get back up to speed with the theory though , I wouldn't worry too much about tallying syllabus item to a particular exam. It's probably better to go methodically through your textbooks again (assuming you still have them) and check off the CASA syllabus items as you cover them. If you don't have any books anymore, it might be worth buying/borrowing a set. Bob's books are a good reference for the exams and ATC do good texts as well. Those are the two main theory sources in Australia.

By the way, if you are looking for a good general overview which is more readable than the AIP's etc (at least initially), I can wholeheartedly recommend CASA's Visual Flight Rules guide which you can download for free as a PDF from CASA's website:

casa.gov.au/pilots/flitgde.htm

I'm not sure if that better answers your question. If not let us know a more specific example of what's causing confusion and we'll see if we can help.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds