Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you have any suggestions on how we can improve this site or if you are having problems with any our products e.g. books, cyberexams or the website, please use this forum to let us know. Technical questions on subjects can be posted to the "Questions and Answers" section below.

Tips for TEM questions

• baddles
  • Topic Author

baddles created the topic: Tips for TEM questions

I just passed the PPLA exam with 92%. Many thanks to Bob Tait and his team for the great books and practice exams which helped me get through.

My first practice exam was pretty disappointing, and worst of all were the TEM questions. So I spent a lot of time trying to understand the TEM chapter.

Here is a tip which helped me a lot:

It is much easier to remember the TEM language if you know the logic behind it.

• Countermeasures are classified by when they are applied:
    • way before the flight, in the design of the aircraft, pilot training etc (systemic countermeasure)
    • when the pilots are planning the flight (planning countermeasure)
    • when the pilots are executing the flight according to the planned procedure (execution countermeasure)
    • when the pilots respond to something unusual during the flight (review countermeasure)
  • Errors are classified by what went wrong, roughly by aviate-navigate-communicate:
    • errors in flying the plane (including navigating in the air) are aircraft handling errors
    • errors in navigating while on the ground are ground navigation errors
    • errors in communicating are communication errors
  • Threats are classified mainly by where they come from
    • something inside the plane (internal)
    • something outside the plane (external)
    • environmental
    • organisational
    and also by what we know
    • latent if it is present without pilot being aware
    • anticipated if the pilot knows the threat in advance, e.g. bad weather that was forecast;
    • unexpected if the pilot doesn't know that the threat will arise on this flight, e.g. engine failure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Tips for TEM questions

Congratulations Baddles

Great result and good tips

Cheers
Stuart

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Tips for TEM questions

Baddles
Thanks for that mate. It is an excellent summary and I'll include it in the next issue of the book. Congratulations on an excellent pass!

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds