Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you have any suggestions on how we can improve this site or if you are having problems with any our products e.g. books, cyberexams or the website, please use this forum to let us know. Technical questions on subjects can be posted to the "Questions and Answers" section below.

CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

• sheldon.haigh
  • Topic Author

sheldon.haigh created the topic: CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

with a 73% pass, and an exam time of 25 min (nothing to be proud of). I just dont understand why when It comes to exams with CASA I average 70's. The cyber practise Exams of Mr Tait are very usefull, but it lulled me into a false sense of security , out of Mr Taits 4 exams the average was 95% and the same with my exams at Tafe Ultimo.I just dont understand it. Maybe CASA wants to weed out the usless maybe? I also found it the same with my AGK exam? But I didnt use a practise Cyber Exam for that exam because I didn't know that they existed at that time or I thought that I was Too good and didnt need the help because of a 98% pass in the Tafe exam, but 73% pass was all to be gained from CASA. Has anyone else found this to be the case? :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

Sheldon

At least a mark in the 70s is a pass, but I can understand your frustration when you feel that you know the subject matter. You didn't say what subject you got 73% in but I assume it was Aerodynamics. I get a lot of similar feedback about Aerodynamics where people feel they have a good grasp of the subject but are disappointed at the CASA exam result. It seems the actual wording of the questions makes it difficult to be sure just what is being asked. Of course if the problem is with 'getting' the question maybe slowing down and taking more time over the wording might help. If you finished in 25mins it is possible you misinterpreted the questions by not reading them carefully enough.

Anyway, thanks for posting on the forum and I'll be interested to see if you get any other responses on this topic. Good luck with the rest of your study.....

Bob

• sheldon.haigh
  • Topic Author

sheldon.haigh replied the topic: Re: CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

thankyou for you input Mr Tait, I wil take it on board! I also find it frustrating that at the end of an exam they (casa) should allow you at least a brief time limited review of all your mistakes , when you feel good about an Exam (expecting 80's plus) its a real problem to see a lower mark and be given such a general statement saying you need to review a whole chapter completly, I find a bit strange. I understand the need for KDR's and being tested on them during the flight test, but an Exam should be a learning tool and To walk away puzzeled and confused ...when 2hrs before you felt ready for anything is a real confidence killer. A pilot without confidence is a major problem in my eyes.????

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

Hi Sheldon,

A lower than expected mark is disappointing but when talking about the CASA exams, finishing fast is definitely a recipe for disaster. You're lucky you knew your stuff so well. A lesser man might have even missed the 70% mark! Knocking out a 90 minute CPL exam (assuming it was Aerodynamics) in 25 minutes is quite an effort. If that was me, I would be worrying I'd missed a page of questions :laugh:

As Bob said, CASA's wording often need careful deciphering before answering and that sometimes isn't possible after a quick read.
Very true but having too much can be just as bad - especially in CASA exams.

Good luck with it mate and keep us posted!

Rich

• zulugurl

zulugurl replied the topic: Re:CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

I studied Aerodynamics, bought the cyber pactic exams for this subject and was feeling quite confident that I would get a good mark as I had got between 83% and 97% for all four practice exams. When I sat the actual CASA exam I was horrified to see the majority of the questions were nothing like the practice exams. Whilst doing the practice exams, I was of the opinion that Bob based these on the 'important stuff' - but my real exams had lots of stuff about tabs, spoilers, differential ailerons, and a whole lot of 'non essential stuff'. there was even one about vortices and 'close to the ground' - can someone please define 'close to the ground'..... in relation to what?
I believe CASA are trying to be 'smart' and confuse people - but really, is this in the interest of "Safer skies for all"? as they say. I checked the VFR Day Syllabus and the majority of my questions were based on the "C" class of Additional information.
Yep, I failed my AD exam - and that was a bitter pill to swallow after feeling comfortable with the practice exam results. Bob, can you up-date your practice exams to be more in line with the current CASA exams - it really doesn't feel good to fail after feeling that we are on the right track....
I am doing it (AD) again this Tuesday - can you send me any additional questions to help please?

bobtait replied the topic: Re:CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

Judy

As you know I do not have access to the actual CASA exam questions. I have found with students in face-to-face classes there is often a tendency to try to 'learn the questions'. If too much emphasis is placed on just learning the answers to dozens of questions, without actually reading and understanding the associated content, it is often the case that a question that is differently worded or on 'non essential stuff' can cause problems. I understand your frustration [you are not alone on this] and I intend to refresh the Aerodynamic questions. Unfortunately I will not have this ready by Tuesday. I suggest you give the questions a break and concentrate on carefully reading the text, making your own notes and summaries etc. All the best for the resit. I'll say a little prayer for you [although I haven't had too much direct contact with God lately].

Look forward to hearing some better news on Tuesday. We're thinking of you mate...

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re:CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

Hey guys,

I had the same problem with Met (which I failed.. couldn't believe it! I had done so well in the practice exams in the book!) However I found the aero's study guide covered everything I was asked very well. Didn't score what I wanted but felt 85% wasn't too bad. Especially when I got 68% for met =( I think understanding the whole power=time=rate and thrust=angle thing really helped me. Not that there was a ton of questions on it but that gave me a bit of confidence going in I guess.. It's funny to see in the CASA exam the EXACT questions you were asked in the prac exam, then the next questions seems familiar, just worded quite differently and that throws you out a bit.

I found I really need to thoroughly understand the subject matter otherwise I have no chance. Good luck for those with up and coming exams..

By the way, they're a rip off! $$

bobtait replied the topic: Re:CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

You did eventually pass Met didn't you? The CASA exam question data base seems to spit our exams of very different degrees of difficulty. I often find people who did the same class and performed at about the same level in class, end up with quite different results in the CASA exam. There certainly is no substitute for having a good grasp of the subject matter, and very carefully reading the exam questions. Unfortunately, while ever the exams are in the multi-choice format, English analysis, grammar and interpretation of the written word will always have an impact on your performance. I'm sure that in a face-to-face interview, many students would have no problem convincing an examiner that they have a good grasp of the subject.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re:CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

Haven't done it yet Bob, got it on Tuesday. Couldn't organise it around work til now.. But i will pass =)

• benharris10

benharris10 replied the topic: Re:CASA EXAM PROBLEMS

G'day All,

Bit of a late resurrection of this thread, Rich, if you have a more appropriate place to put this post feel free.

I just wanted to share some information for those of you studying for PPL and CPL examinations. Bob and Rich would have seen this link, however I wanted to share it with others studying for exams.

CASA has very kindly (aren't they just lovely?) posted on their website the recurring things that pop up in KDR's (knowledge deficiency reports) when people go to sit their exams, along with the average pass rates, as well as the average time used to complete the examination.

For example, for PPL examinations it says that the following are some area's where people are being let down in the examinations.

These reports are listed up to and including ATPL subjects. Don't rely on it too much, but still interesting nonetheless.

Here's the link - www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90061

All the best with your studies.

Ben
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds