Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL AGK question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Some Q queries

• Thank you received: 3

HPOUND created the topic: Some Q queries

Exercise GK1/17: Answers "A" and "D" are both valid, I think. High oil temp and low pressure (these two go hand in hand) could be due to low oil levels. Could also be due to the oil cooler bypass not working - bypass could be stuck such that oil can't enter the cooler (if stuck in the other position, it would send oil through the cooler regardless of temp.

Final test 1/23: A blocked static vent on a long climb would result in the ASI under-reading (as the pitot reading at actual altitude would be compared to a static reading from a lower "altitude"), the ALT would not be changing and the VSI would show nil. Thus, in addition to "A", "C" is also correct
01Apr: Did a bit more reading here. Seems we would consider the ALT to be inoperative, as opposed to over-reading. Thus, we prefer answer A to C.

Final test 2/2: During a long descent if cylinder temp becomes too low, surely reducing IAS would help to warm the engine? We assume the engine is operating although probably not at high power. Thus, is answer "D" correct? The solution marks "C"as correct, yet adding power and decreasing the rate of descent would suggest IAS increases, and this would have a cooling effect.

Final test 2/16: I'm being picky here, but surely a left hand zero ammeter will indicate zero when "A" the ammeter has failed and "B" all electrical loads are off (potentially because the plane is shut down, but not if the plane is running, ammeter is on, all loads are off and the battery is charging)? Two correct answers?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HPOUND replied the topic: Some Q queries

Just "bumping" this post. I'm done with the AGK exam, but would really love to hear some thoughts on where my interpretation of the above questions is leading me to invalid answers. Thanks!

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Some Q queries

EXERCISE GK1/17
I guess it depends on how you interpret 'bypass not working'. If the bypass was not working there would be no bypass route available so the oil would be passing through the cooler all of the time. That would not contribute to high oil temperature. If the bypass was jammed in the 'open' position, it would be working all of the time so it wouldn't be appropriate to say it was not working.

FINAL TEST 1/23
I agree. A blocked static source would render the altimeter u/s. It would not be correct to say it was under reading - it would not be reacting at all to any pressure change so it would be reasonable to say it is simply out of service.

FINAL TEST 2/2
I agree that if you added power an maintained the same nose attitude, the IAS would increase. But if you added power and decreased the rate of descent (c), you would need to lift the nose to a higher attitude. The airspeed would remain nearly the same or maybe even lower.

FINAL TEST 2/16
If you turn off all electrical loads, a left-hand zero ammeter will not read zero. There will still be a trickle current going to the battery. The only time a left-hand zero ammeter will read zero is if it has no output i.e. it has failed.

HPOUND replied the topic: Some Q queries

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds