Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL AGK question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Compas Questions

• grandsalami
  • Topic Author

grandsalami created the topic: Compas Questions

Hey guys

Just want to clarify ONUS in regards to the compass. Does it mean the compass over shoots when you turn onto north or are you supposed to over shoot your heading when you turn onto north. Same with undershooting south, does it mean the compass undershoots or are you actually supposed to undershoot the heading change ?

Kind Regards
Johnny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Compas Questions

Hi Johnny,

The compass is Nippy on North (reads ahead of the turn) and Sluggish on South (reads behind the turn). That means:

- Because the compass is overreading the turn through North, you need to keep your turn going to a heading past the one you want, otherwise you will not turn far enough (you overshoot the reading you want on a Northerly turn).

- Because the compass is underreading the turn through South, you need to stop your turn on a heading earlier than the one you want, otherwise you will turn too far (you undershoot the reading you want on a Southerly turn).

To remember if ONUS applies to you or the compass, I usually tell students the "onus" is on them to "Overshoot North Undershoot South". One student told me he rememebered it by saying the pilot is the one with the "anus" (onus) :blink:

Cheers,

Rich

• grandsalami
  • Topic Author

grandsalami replied the topic: Compas Questions

haha thanks Richard makes perfect sense now, its always good when you can try to remember something by having a laugh.

• Haych_Bee

Haych_Bee replied the topic: Compas Questions

I had a practice question on this, turning from 000 to 340. Turning away from Nth I chose the “undershoot” answer. Apparently overshoot was correct. Please explain?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Compas Questions

The phrase 'overshoot north' applies to any heading in the northern half of the azimuth scale. The amount to overshoot by is maximum on north itself, and varies to zero on east or west. You should interpolate the overshoot allowance for any heading between 000 and east or west. It doesn't matter what direction (left or right) you are approaching the target heading from.

The same applies to the undershoot allowance for southerly headings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haych_Bee

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds