Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL AGK question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Fuel Colour

• scanwinder
  • Topic Author

scanwinder created the topic: Fuel Colour

Hi,

Just wondering a couple of things about fuel colours. Question 32 on page 6.1 of the CPL general knowledge book asks the difference in appearance between avgas and avtur. According to the answers in the back of the book, turbine fuel is clear.

On Page 3.1, it mentions the colours of the different avgas standards, but not turbine fuel. The wikipedia page (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_fuel) says it is straw-coloured - which was my recollection. Could I just get some clarification on the colour of turbine fuel?

I'm also wondering, do turboprops and jets use the same fuel? And, do the different types of jet/turbine fuels have different colours?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Fuel Colour

My searches indicate that Jet A1 is clear.

Bob
Attachments:

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: Fuel Colour

Hi Scanwinder,
When I did my BAK some 25 years ago, Jet fuel was descibed as being either clear or straw coloured. All the test questions about jet fuel I have seen up until now state clear or straw coloured as the correct answer.

I've never seen straw coloured jet fuel before, just clear Jet A-1.

Some of the additives for anti-static and anti-bacteria/fungal or different blends of kero-to-gasoline may change it to look like straw or apple juice. These types of jet fuel are generally for specific purposes like cold weather and/or very high altitude (U-2, SR-71, missiles) type operations.

To answer question about turboprops and jets. Yes they can run them both on the same fuel. It will depend on what the manufacturer says in the P.O.H.
Where I used to fly, we ran our jet warbird on the same Jet A-1 as the local turboprop cropdusters, Police and Air Ambo choppers and Kingairs.
The croppies can even run their PT-6 powered Airtractors on Diesel should the need arise within certain operating limitations.

The important thing is when you check your fuel, make sure it's the right colour. Especially if your aeroplane has a TURBO sticker on the side. Jet fuel has put into C210, Mooneys and Chieftains by mistake in past.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mister W.

• scanwinder
  • Topic Author

scanwinder replied the topic: Fuel Colour

Thanks Bob and Mister W, That answers all my questions

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds