Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL AGK question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Total Electrical Failure

• basketball
  • Topic Author

basketball created the topic: Total Electrical Failure

Hi Folks,

Just wondering what instruments would remain "live" should there be a total electrical failure?

I would assume ASI, AH, Altimeter, DI and VSI would still operate normally.

What about the engine instruments like fuel, fuel pressure, oil temp, oil pressure and EGT?

Thanks,
Brendan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Total Electrical Failure

The EGT operates on a thermocouple principle and therefore needs not outside electrical power. However most fuel and oil pressure and oil temperature gauges do require electrical power. Also things like fuel contents gauges are usually electrical as well as most turn coordinators and pitot heat for IFR aircraft. All pressure instruments would remain available. Naturally all navigation aids, including GPS [unless it's an iPad or iPhone] would not be available. No wonder most IFR pilots consider a complete electrical failure just as big a problem as an engine failure - really scary!!

• basketball
  • Topic Author

basketball replied the topic: Re: Total Electrical Failure

Thanks Bob! Hopefully I don't ever get an electrical failure when it comes my time to fly IFR or VFR for that matter!

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds