Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL AGK question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passed - 85% - Some Tips

• brentonrule
  • Topic Author

brentonrule created the topic: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

Hi all. Passed AGK with a reasonable result but yet again CASA have some VERY ambiguous questions. Suffice to say, know the following subject matter throughly and you should be OK.
  • Turbo Charger - Leaks before and after the wastegate in the exhaust system. Effects and symptoms. I thought that leaks in the intake were more symptomatic and would directly effect wastegate much more than in the exhaust.
  • Fuel flow guages and what they tell you about a) one injector not working and b) fuel vapour locking.
  • Mixture control and its affect on 1) spark plug fouling 2) temp on climb 3) temp on decent 4) power on decent/climb.
  • Octane and colour of fuel, and resultant effects of using the wrong one.
  • Carby heat and icing (types, environmentals, and causes). One interesting question was when would you expect spark plug fouling and the answer was after having carby heat on in decent for an extended period.
  • Electrical systems - know the ammeter backwards as their questions were written by 10 year olds and some you just have to make your best guess at what they mean.
  • Ignition system - know the symptoms of no earth in a magnito and how to test for it. They give you some vague options and I thought the most logical answer was to turn off the master and mag switches and see if the magneto keeps running the engine. No option to simply just test both with the switch. Oh well.
  • Know the hydraulics systems and symptoms of various failures and air in the systems.
  • Know the results of blocked pitot/static tubes.
  • Know the various compass errors.
Other than that not much else to know hey? All the best.

Only HPF to go now and then I can start flying and really enjoying myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

Hi Brenton,

Well done on a respectable mark :) Sounds a lot like the stock standard AGK exam.

For those who are wondering why carby heat and spark plug fouling are linked in a question, it's due to a richer mixture thanks to the warmer (less dense) air entering the cylinders. Because carby heat is generally used at low power settings (which in itself can cause fouling), the results are exacerbated.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

Come on mate, only 85%, what are you playing at? That's just not good enough :evil:

Seriously though, well done Brenton. 85% is definitely respectable and nothing to be disappointed about.

Good luck with HPL. That's a pretty interesting subject but if you thought the other exams were "ambiguous", wait till you see the TEM questions :laugh:

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

Good answer Ellzy! That's spot on. Brenton, Richard's not kidding when he says the TEM questions in Human Performance will test your sanity. Be brave my friend!

• Aviatordan

Aviatordan replied the topic: Re: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

The TEM questions are definitely ambiguous!

Here is a link that helped me a great deal while I was studying for HPL. I thought that since TEM was such an uncovered topic I needed to search for more depth.

Although I didn't get 100% in HPL I did get all the TEM questions right (there were about 6 or so of them) with the help of the papers on this site as well as the CAAP on Teaching and Assessing TEM.

www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Threat_and_Error_Management_(TEM)

These papers are specifically meant for airlines and talk about a specific example of a cockpit crew who incorrectly set the flight management computer right before beginning an IFR approach and then getting stuck in the error management phase rather than moving in to rectifying the undesired aircraft state...

My point is that although they're pointed towards flight crews of the heavies and supers they are very relevant to us as well, you just have to adapt some of the scenarios to situations that could occur to us.

I hope this helps!

=)

• brentonrule
  • Topic Author

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

Thanks Dan. I have printed it and it looks great.

• Aviatordan

Aviatordan replied the topic: Re: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

Not a problem! =)

• basketball

basketball replied the topic: Re: Passed - 85% - Some Tips

Just did my AGK test today, and gotta say Brent has most things covered.

I got a question about the type of fire detectors used for engine fires - had no idea, and none of the options seemed to make sense - guess thats why i got it wrong! :silly:

Looking at the KDR i know i made some silly errors, i guess the phrase "RTFQ" is really relevant! If you study Bob's book closely, you should get over 90% if you don't make silly errors like i did. :pinch:

Oh well, 1 Down 6 to go (well 14 including ATPL's and IR)............ :blink:

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds