Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

IREX Exams - Documentation

• Steven Young
  • Topic Author

Steven Young created the topic: IREX Exams - Documentation

I am a UAV operator and I'm booked to do my IREX exam on 9th February- I have been using Bobs IREX book and online lecture series ( which is great ). I have current Charts, DAPS, ERSA, MOS 91, MOS135,and AIP.current through to March. Given the current transition with manuals. What else is recommended?
Also could I please get some clarification on 2 points
1) New fuel calculation
2) Reference to Aerial work, RPT, PVT appears to have been deleted with just reference to IFR requirements - am I missing something here.

Kindly

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: IREX Exams - Documentation

The key for doing any Casa exam, especially Irex, is how quick you navigate in any of permitted materials.

The information about air transport fuel (formerly known as RPT/CHT) is in Chapter 7 of Part 135.

From what I can tell, the only difference between old Caap 234-1 and Part 135 is contingency fuel (formerly known as variable reserves), which is now 10% / 5mins for turbine aircrafts. I am happy to be corrected here.

It looks like you already have everything from the list of permitted materials. Personally, I found BT Irex Extract more user friendly and easier to navigate than 1000's of pages of law volumes. In any case get familiar with everything you bring into exam.

Good luck!

• Steven Young
  • Topic Author

Steven Young replied the topic: IREX Exams - Documentation

Thanks Bosi72,
From what I'm gathering, Manual navigation is key and not so ambiguous if you find the right section. I understand now that Flight Operations MOS135 is any flight for Hire or Reward - So that would include Freight only charter as well.

• Steven Young
  • Topic Author

Hi Just a quick note - the IREX extract has a minor paging error in the 135MOS. Page 44 is in front of Page 41 and puts the other pages out when double sided printing.
I am discovering a number of down sides to using the exttracts - but having said so will probably continue to do so, but for those who are thinking of going this way:
No Index - only really a problem for Part 91MOS
Some (practice ) exam answers - not in the selected material
CAO not fully covered by MOS

A big thankyou though for getting them out in time for my upcoming exam - I have reprinted and bound my MOS 135 pages 41-46 in the correct sequence ( hopefully that wont pose a problem)

Steve

• Steven Young
  • Topic Author

The Extracts are not currently on the official CASA documentation list or the ASPEQ list - I was advised today that if it wasn't on my approved list for the exam I wouldn't be able to use it. I know previously in 2021 the official list included the phrase "approved extracts". This is omitted in the current list.

Further advice or action is required please

Steve

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: IREX Exams - Documentation

Extract is a cut down version of the 1000+ pages of law regulation. Does this mean that you have to print everything, and that you are not allowed to save paper by printing only information that is relevant to your exam subject?

I don't understand the idea of certifying the extract. Sounds like certifying shoes when flying in an aircraft.

I went last week with only ~20 pages of CASR extract relevant to PIRC exam. No questions asked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steven Young

• Steven Young
  • Topic Author

I'm trying to find the concise 'official' part 61 to take in just in case I get knocked back. I have full Part 91 MOS and Part 135 MOS anyway.

Steve

• Steven Young
  • Topic Author

Casa has confirmed in an email the approval for the approved extracts

Steve

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds