Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Alternators and current

• 206Driver
  • Topic Author

206Driver created the topic: Alternators and current

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this doesn’t go here but I couldn’t determine where else would be suitable.

Anyway,
I’m a little confused with what I’ve been told about the electrical system on a Seminole. (This probably applies to most light aircraft)

If an alternator fails, the entire load will be supplied by the remaining alternator. Now the manual states that the alternator has an output of 60amps. That being said, the manual also states to be “careful not to exceed 60amps” when relying on one alternator.

Question 1: How could the alternator produce more than what it’s rated for? I thought 60 was the absolute maximum.

Question 2: I was told that if the output on the remaining alternator did happen to exceed 60amps, then circuit breakers would pop to protect the equipment. Again, if it’s max output is 60 amps wouldn’t that just mean that whatever system has put it “over the edge” so to speak would not operate as quick? (say extending the landing gear). My other thought was it would simply struggle to charge the battery due to the larger demand required.

Some more questions might stem from this, but any info on those two for now would be great.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds