Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

IREX Revision Exercise 3.2 Q12

• Tonyjames
  • Topic Author

Tonyjames created the topic: IREX Revision Exercise 3.2 Q12

The question asks if an private IFR flight conducted under the NGT VFR, and the destination has no published approach, and if weather and lighting is not an issue what are the requirements for an alternate.
I put my answer as (a) an alternate is required within one hours flight times of the destination as per AIP ENR 1.1 11.7.3.3 which as i read says e must provide an alternate within one hour if the destination doesn't have and NDB/VOR or GNSS reveiver
but the answer in Bobs book says it is (d) no alternate or holing fuel required.

could someone shed some light on this for me please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Revision Exercise 3.2 Q12

If you choose to operate under the NGT VFR rules then, by definition, you will be doing a visual approach because that is the only approach available to a VFR flight. Therefore, the only requirement is the ability to navigate to the destination aerodrome and then conduct a visual approach.

The question says that you are flying in OZY so you do have a GPS. If the destination does not have an RNAV/GNSS approach published it doesn't matter because all you want to do is navigate to the destination, you will be doing a visual approach.

As long as the weather and lighting are OK, you wont need an alternate.

• Tonyjames
  • Topic Author

Tonyjames replied the topic: IREX Revision Exercise 3.2 Q12

Thanks for that Bob...
What does it mean than in AIP ENR 1.1 11.7.3.3 which I read says we must provide an alternate within one hour if the destination doesn't have and NDB/VOR or GNSS reveiver.
Am I missing something?....chers

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Revision Exercise 3.2 Q12

That reference actually says that you need an alternate unless the destination is served by an NDB or VOR
OR
the aircraft is fitted with an RNAV/GNSS receiver.

If you are flying VH- OZY, you DO have a GNSS receiver, so you don't need an alternate.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds