Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Thunderstorms

• cgoldy
  • Topic Author

cgoldy created the topic: Thunderstorms

Hi,

I failed my last CPL met exam by 1%. I wasn't expecting it to be as hard as it was as I have passed 3 previous exams averaging 90%. Very humbling I must say.

One line of questions which I was not expecting were two that asked something like this. (I can't remember exactly the format of the questions but something like this)

Which side of a TCU would you fly?
and
If there were two TCU in front of you, where would you fly?

I have re-read the Met book in preparation for a second attempt this Friday but it does not address this question anywhere. Please help

Colin Goldsworthy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Thunderstorms

It's more likely that the question referred to TS rather than TCU. In the towering cumulus stage (the beginning of the development of the storm), updrafts predominate and although airframe ice is likely above the freezing level, hail is not present.

In the mature stage (TS), both updrafts and downdrafts exist and both severe airframe ice and hail are likely to be present. Hail is often tossed out of the storm cell where it can free-fall in clear air downwind of the cloud itself. The safest path to take is along the upwind side of the storm and well clear (about 10km). This will reduce the likelihood of encountering hail in clear air.

For the same reason, flying between two cells should be avoided. If two cells are close together, fly upwind of the pair.

• rodcarey

rodcarey replied the topic: Thunderstorms

Hi Bob,

Page 168 q3 has the question relating to TCU, ie In the area of TCU's, in which location relative to the clouds is the least amount of turbulence.
A Beneath the clouds
B Between the clouds
C Inside the clouds at freezing level
D At the boundary of the cloud

B is the answer in the book, which has now confused me with your answer above ie between the 2 cells should be avoided

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Thunderstorms

The first question related specifically to an encounter with hail. It wasn't talking about turbulence. In any case the other choices are obviously not correct as they would likely be more turbulent zones.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds