Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Transition Levels from the Transition Altitude(10,000ft)

• andycain
  • Topic Author

andycain created the topic: Transition Levels from the Transition Altitude(10,000ft)

The essence is to keep a minimum of 1000ft (on QNH set at 1013.2hps & so on a Flight Level) separation above the Transition Altitude (10,000ft on local/area QNH), ie it’s not permissible to cruise in the Transition Layer ( which I regard as the gap through which to climb to get a separation of the 1000ft).
If the Transition Altitude is eg 1010hps then I couldn’t fly at FL110 (ok when QNH=1013.2) because the separation would only be 1000- (1013-2010)x30=910ft. Could I fly at FL110.9 (in which case the Transition Layer would be 910+90=1000ft exactly) , say FL111, or must I fly to the next nearest 500ft flight level , in this case FL115 ( inwhich case the Transition layer would be 1000+(500-30)=1470ft) ? Of course if flight levels only increase in steps of 500ft by definition ( whoops I’m not sure ?) then by implication the latter would have to be the case . Could you please just clarify . Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Transition Levels from the Transition Altitude(10,000ft)

When cruising VFR at or above 5000' you must cruise at a level from the table below. Depending on your track the level will be odd_thousands+500 or even_thousands + 500. This rules applies to all levels above and below the transition layer. FYI the odd_thousands and even_thousands are reserved for IFR flights.

You cannot cruise at any other in between level unless you are VFR below 5000'. Below 5000' you can cruise at any level you like but you are encourage to fly odds/evens + 500' depending on track where possible.

Getting to your question, when the QNH is 1010 hPa, FL110 (an IFR level) is not available. That means that the lowest VFR level available is FL115 or FL125 depending on your track.

cheers
Attachments:

• andycain
  • Topic Author

andycain replied the topic: Transition Levels from the Transition Altitude(10,000ft)

Dear Carillo,
Thank you for your thorough reply . Really appreciated.
May I ask you are you part of the Bob Taite School or a fellow student or already Pilot ?
Further , where did you get the colour illustrations from ? Most of my reading material is all black and white .
Thank you once again.
Andy

• michel@deprez.id.au

michel@deprez.id.au replied the topic: Transition Levels from the Transition Altitude(10,000ft)

Hi Andy, check the VFR Guide for colour pics. Check for latest version.
bobtait.com.au/vfg/vfrg-whole.pdf
Regards, Michel.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds