Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

How to approach instrument rating

• Clancy15
  • Topic Author

Clancy15 created the topic: How to approach instrument rating

Hi. I am a 62 year old low hour PPL holder. I own a C150 and recognise the value of what I could know by doing the instrument rating. I am prepared to upgrade to an equipped C172 and travel to my nearest city from a remote area for sim and flight training. Out of prior necessity, I have become comfortable with online and self paced learning.
I have been reading this site with interest and am finding the discussions to be quite overwhelming but I am still keen to have a go.
I would love some advice on how to take it all on from anyone who can relate to my situation, given that I am not on a professional pathway. I just want to be a better pilot for my own safety.
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: How to approach instrument rating

As you may already know there are two paths you can take to an instrument rating. The first is a PIFR (Private Instrument Rating) which entails training in various stages to obtain specific privileges such as -

Flying en route IFR with a requirement for the climb to and descent from lowest safe altitude to be made in VMC.

Then you can add the extra privilege of IFR departures. This allows a departure and cruise IFR with a requirement for VMC conditions from lowest safe altitude to landing.

Then you can add IFR arrival and approach privileges to allow the whole flight to be conducted under the IFR.

Your flying school will conduct separate theory assessments for each of those training modules. I would suggest that this type of training may be most suitable for you. The other option would be the full Command Instrument Rating (CIR) which covers all of those areas in one flight test and also requires a pass in the Instrument Rating Examination (IREX) conducted by CASA. If you chose the PIFR, you would end up with exactly the same privileges except that you could not fly IFR Charter.

As an alternative, you can study for and sit the IREX exam. If you pass the IREX, you will have met all of the theory requirements for the PIFR training.

You shouldn't have much trouble tracking down a flying school that conducts PIFR training. I suggest you have a yarn to such a flying school.

All the best.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds