Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

ICING

• florenceega@gmail.com
  • Topic Author

florenceega@gmail.com created the topic: ICING

Hi Bob,
Just want to make sure that Iam right about this. I choose clear ice.
When there's thick altostratus with a temperature of -5 Degrees, what icing is likely to be form? Rime or clear icing.

With cloud type and temperature given, which of the two should i based my answer on?

Thanks
FE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: ICING

Clear ice requires large super-cooled droplets so that would indicate thick cloud. Alto cumulus would contain some updrafts which would help to hold the large droplets within the cloud. Clear ice is also likely when the temperature is just below zero so that the droplets take a little time to freeze and have time to spread across the surface before freezing. Alto cumulus may not have strong updrafts so the droplet size is likely to be smaller.

The cloud type and thickness is more important than the temperature range. If only small droplets are present (like drizzle) rime ice is more likely.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds