Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

CPL Aerodynamics

• brawilli
  • Topic Author

brawilli created the topic: CPL Aerodynamics

Im getting to the end of the Aerodynamics text book now and i have come to the aircraft stability section, i may be having a slight problem understanding or my brain is freezing up on me. I am mainly talking about stability in Pitch and roll, when i think of pitch i'm thinking of the aircraft pitching around it lateral axis and when rolling the the aircraft it rolls around its longitudinal axis. Why when we talk about stability in pitch we are talking about longitudinal stability and in roll we are talking about lateral stability?

Cheers guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: CPL Aerodynamics

G'day brawilli,

The terminology for stability is oriented on the planes of motion not the axes.

Pitch is about the lateral axis but the motion occurs in the pitching plane which runs longitudinally through the aircraft. Stability in pitch is therefore longitudinal stability i.e. stability in the longitudinal, pitching plane.
Similarly, roll is about the longitudinal axis but the motion occurs in the rolling plane which runs laterally through the aircraft. Stability in roll is therefore lateral stability i.e. stability in the lateral, rolling plane.

Cheers,

Rich

• brawilli
  • Topic Author

brawilli replied the topic: CPL Aerodynamics

Thanks Rich!

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds