Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

svfr clearance

• Nm66
  • Topic Author

Nm66 created the topic: svfr clearance

Hey guys in regards to svfr clearance,question is if @4500 ft in class d airspace and requested and issued clearance to that height the vis and seperation should be?? From the bob tait book it says 1600m. Clear of cloud but the anser is clear of cloud and 3000 m ,mmm? Help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: svfr clearance

G'day Nm66,

Do you have any details on that question? There has been some confusion about special VFR recently and I think we need to look into it more closely. According to the AIP (apeciafically ENR 1.2.2), there is a single definition for Special VFR: 1600 m and clear of cloud.

The CASA VFG on the other hand talks about 3000m and clear of cloud which gets overridden in the section on Class D airspace where they then mention 1600m and clear or cloud. The VFG is of course not canon - it will always be subordinate to current regs but I wonder if there has been a change to the Special VFR requirements and these old values are still reflected in the VFG.

Could you please PM the specific question you are referring to and I will look into getting an authoritative answer for you.

Cheers,

Rich

• Nm66
  • Topic Author

Nm66 replied the topic: Re: svfr clearance

Hey rich yea sure the possible answers given.are. a. 1000ft vertically 1500 horizontally.3000 vis. B. Clear of cloud 1600 vis. C. 1000ft vertically. 1500 horizontally. 5000vis. D. Clear of cloud. 3000 vis. E. Clear of cloud. 800 vis. Thanks rich for the reply. Its on page 4.48 bob tait ppl book

• Richard

Hi Nm66,

Yep, looks like Special VFR is now defined as 1600m clear of cloud across the board. We'll update the textbook and any questions affected by it shortly. Looks like that is another correction for the VFG as well so I'll send an email off to CASA this afternoon.

Cheers,

Rich

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: svfr clearance

Here's a question for you nm66.. Any idea why they've chosen 1600m? Bit of a strange number... AND, can you be offered special VFR?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: svfr clearance

A lot of these airspace procedures have been taken from the Yanks. 1600m is one statute mile in Americanese. I can't think of any reason why a special VFR clearance could not be issued by the tower. Richard and I were given a VFR clearance through Cairns CTR when the conditions were less than normal VMC. Although the tower usually does not use the phrase 'special VFR', but any clearance issued when you cannot maintain the normal VMC requirements can be taken as a special VFR clearance.

Cheers

Bob

• brook

brook replied the topic: Re: svfr clearance

Hi Bob, Richard, Michael and NM66

Just one further question - it also appears from AIP ENR 1.4 par 2.1.2 that SVFR now receives separation from ALL other traffic including VFR not just limited to IFR. Have you noticed the change?

Brook

• Richard

Hi Brook,

No, I haven't seen a change there - well not in the August or November AIP currently available online with Air Services. According to the Nov 2012 edition, AIP ENR 1.4 2.1.2 says all flights in Class C receive an air traffic control service but with the following separation services:
  • - IFR from everyone (IFR, VFR and Special VFR)
  • - VFR from IFR and traffic avoidance on other VFR
  • - Special VFR are separated from Special VFR when visibility is less than VMC.
This effectively means SVFR flights get separation but only because ATC is providing the IFR flights with separation from the SVFR flights. Class D is similar except IFR only get traffic information on VFR and VFR only get traffic information on all other flights.

There's an exam question on this floating around and we talked about it in another thread .

Cheers,

Rich

• brook

brook replied the topic: Re: svfr clearance

Thanks Rich, great post. It must have been my interpretation. I always understood in the past separation was provided to IFR and SVFR flights only, whereas now VFR flights are provided with separation from IFR in effect in class C airspace it would appear that all types of flight VFR, SVFR and IFR will be separated by default by the ATC service responsible, however the only out that I can see is that a VFR flight will not be "separated" (by the letter of the law) from another VFR flight but rather have VFR traffic INFO with traffic avoidance only provided upon request.

As in Skyhawk Sierra Echo Xray (VFR) you have a Learjet on visual departure approaching from your 6 o'clock. Tower Sierra Echo Xray, can we please have avoidance with that Info ;-)

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds