Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Criteria to become a Professional Pilot

• hikinorooy
  • Topic Author

hikinorooy created the topic: Criteria to become a Professional Pilot

Dear Bob

I have recently started my long journey to become a successful professional Pilot.

I am currently doing my GFPT using your book and have already clocked 12hrs on the log book. It is going to be a long journey for me doing 1 hours per week, as I can only afford 1 hour per week for which I am doing 3 jobs. One thing I am very concerned about is my physical appearance and my age, whether I am even eligible to become a pilot.
My height is 5feet 6inches and I am 32 years old. What keeps bothering me is that is this all going to be worth while at the end of this gruesome journey where I have to put my life on line every week driving taxi Saturday nights to make money for my flying hours. This is something I have always wanted to do and I will finish it no matter what it takes. And by the time I finish my CPL it will be 3-4 years when I will be around 35 years old.
It will be completely shattering for me, if airlines wont even entertain me for an interview after comepletion of my CPL beacuse my height is not sufficient or I have crossed the age threshold.

I am pretty sure that someone like you who have 20-30 years of experience in aviation will be able to guide me if I am even eligible to become a Pilot considering my height and my age. Please advise whether I should continue this journey, and if there are many Pilots in my age and height group.

I so look forward you reply and be part of this wonderful family and aviation world.

Regards

Raj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Criteria to become a Professional Pilot

Hi Raj

I see no reason why your height should have any negative influence on your ability to obtain employment as a CPL holder. There are plenty of people shorter than you who have got into the aviation industry. However, if your heart is set on becoming an airline pilot, your age would be a drawback. You should be aware that your CPL would not be enough to open a pathway to employment in airlines. You would also need a command instrument rating and a pass in the Airline Transport Pilot Licence [ATPL] theory subjects. You would also need some reasonable amount of experience as a general aviation pilot after obtaining your CPL. All of these requirements would add significantly to your total costs and time schedule.

If you want my honest opinion, you would have little chance of getting into airlines with limited experience and the minimum qualifications at the age of 36 or 37.

It is clear however, that you have a genuine passion for flying and that you are prepared to make many sacrifices to make flying your career. Other options would be to consider flying instruction with a flying school or some other general aviation employment. The income associated with these occupations would be nowhere near what airline pilots enjoy. Another advantage of flying instruction for someone in your position is the possibility of part-time employment, allowing you to remain involved in aviation while still holding down a full-time job to allow you to make a reasonable income. I'm sorry to sound so negative, but you did ask me to give an honest opinion.

Think it over and remember that we are only too happy to help in any way we can, whatever you decide to do.

Bob

• hikinorooy
  • Topic Author

hikinorooy replied the topic: Re: Criteria to become a Professional Pilot

Hi Bob

I appriciate your such a quick responce and thank you so much for providing with quiet an overview on how to get into a airlines.
A little chance is enough for me to keep going, as far as there is hope that I can still get into an airline till age of 40, I will continue this journey.

Regards

Raj

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds