Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Interpretation of an ARFOR

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike created the topic: Interpretation of an ARFOR

Hi again,

Just went through another practice PPL exam and although I passed. I was a bit confused with one of the questions which was interpreting an ARFOR from the DAY VFR BOOKLET.
Page 46 ARFOR/TAF 2.

It basically asks for the freezing level for a leg of the flight between YSWG and YSCB. when your departure is 0500z and your estimate for YMER via YSCB is 0700z there abouts. So about 1hr enroute to YSCB. There is a trough that runs between YSWG/YMCO at 0400z and is moving northeast to YCWR/YMRY by 1000Z. So you will takeoff west of the trough but overtake it enroute to YSCB and be east of it.

Therefore the freezing level changes as you overtake it.
West of the trough: 9500ft
East of the trough: 12000ft

Which would you select?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lindsay

lindsay replied the topic: Re: Interpretation of an ARFOR

Sam,

I think the question is expecting you to interpret the freezing level as 9500ft. You know for sure you are West of the trough when you take off. Also if the freezing level changes during a leg of the flight you would need to plan on the most restrictive.

Lindsay

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike replied the topic: Re: Interpretation of an ARFOR

Cheers Lindsay.

Yer, going back over it, that seems like the logical choice.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds