Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Takeoff Seperation

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike created the topic: Takeoff Seperation

Hi All,

I refer you to Question 4 of the PPL Examination Questions in the PPL DAY study guide

Basically, the question goes;
- 2 aircraft both MTOW 750kg
- you are lined up beginning of runway
- other aircraft has takeoff and is of same type
- runway is 1900m

What is the earliest you can commence your take-off?

The AIP ENR 1.1 para 5.5.1 states;
An aircraft will not be permitted to commence take-off until:
a. a preceding departing aircraft using the same runway has:
(4) if the preceding aircraft has a MTOW of 7,000kg or less and the following aircraft has a MTOW below 2,000kg and is slower, the preceding aircraft is airborne and is at least 600M ahead of the following aircraft.

basically. I am interpreting the word 'ahead' as when the aircraft is 600m ahead of your physical position as you are lined up on the runway. And because they will be traveling faster than you as they are already flying they will be at least 600m ahead until you takeoff.

Therefore I conclude that the answer is [c] 600M from the beginning of the runway.
NOT
[a] 600M ahead of your proposed take-off point

Could someone please point out where my logic is wrong as this question is driving me up the wall and I also got it in the online practice exams and answered the same and got it wrong.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Takeoff Seperation

The wording used to be from your proposed take off point. However the current AIP says from the commencement of the runway. That question has been amended in the current print of the book. Thanks for your feedback. Your interpration is correct.

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike replied the topic: Re: Takeoff Seperation

Thank you very much for the quick reply Bob. Good to hear it is just a technicality.
Back to more studying. :)

Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds