Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

MET DOCUMENT

• Rhazeltine
  • Topic Author

Rhazeltine created the topic: MET DOCUMENT

Gidday all. I have just started MET and am looking for some help in clarifying something in the global winds section of the text. The text talks about Coriolis and specifically that air flowing from the sub tropical ridge to the equatorial trough follows a south easterly trajectory. Am I missing something here. Surely the trajectory of the particle is north west but for a person in the equatorial trough is experiencing a south easterly wind. Sorry this may be a dumb question but self study sometimes creates confusion.

Cheers Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: MET DOCUMENT

No that is not a dumb question. Your sharp eye has found a problem. I shouldn't have used the word 'trajectory'. I'll change the wording to 'changes to become south easterly' in the next print of the book.

Thanks for your feed-back. It is appreciated.

• Rhazeltine
  • Topic Author

Rhazeltine replied the topic: Re: MET DOCUMENT

Hi all

I am just doing a last minute cram for MET and I have a query rage ain't some synoptic examples given on page 5.10

The first relates to the surface wind in Hobart. The isobar seems to be west east and therefore a surfacevwind veering 30 degrees would have a wind of north west. The answer shows westerly which I don't understand. Whilst the question asks for the wind at 0900, there is no reference to the time of the chart...is this relevant.

Secondly, the qnh at Perth has me stumped. The 1012 isobar seems to run right through Perth on the chart so I don't understand how the answer arrives at 1022.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Richard.

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Re: MET DOCUMENT

I think this was covered in a post in the CPL MET forums. You are right. The QNH is a misprint and should read 1012 and the wind is North West...

Time to create page: 0.714 seconds