Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Worth Spending $500 odd on AIP, CAO, CAR docs?

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike created the topic: Worth Spending $500 odd on AIP, CAO, CAR docs?

Hi Everyone,

So I'm getting very close to my PPL Theory exam now and am about to put in one final batch of study before sitting the Bob Tait Practice exams and then doing the real thing. Now, from what I understand, you can take in the AIP, CAO and CAR into the exam and you may dog-ear the pages and highlight stuff. It should be also noted that I am undertaking my CPL study after my PPL is completed.

My question; is it worth my while spending $500 there abouts on the hard copies of these documents with the amendment service or just borrow someone elses copy for the exam and use the online versions to study with?

Regards, Sergei.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Worth Spending $500 odd on AIP, CAO, CAR docs?

Sergei

Yes it is quite a slug isn't it. If you can get your hands on a copy on loan it would save you money. The only problem is whether the borrowed copies are up to date. You certainly could get by without the complete CAAP. The only information you need from CAAP is the suggested fuel reserves. Even though I have included some consideration of ALAs in the books, CASA will not ask exam questions on ALAs because it is not law - it's only a recommendation. You can download the individual sections that you need to take into the exam, that might help.

It's really your call. It is a high cost when you consider that it's really only for the sake of the exam. The online documents are perfectly adequate for everyday use.

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike replied the topic: Re: Worth Spending $500 odd on AIP, CAO, CAR docs?

Thanks for the speedy reply Bob.
I was just thinking that, so you can confirm that printed sections of the documents will be allowed in the exam? If that is the case, that might be the route I will go down and then just borrow my instructors copies as well for the test.

• Rhazeltine

Rhazeltine replied the topic: Re: Worth Spending $500 odd on AIP, CAO, CAR docs?

I think the AIP with updates is invaluable with or without study and exams. As a pilot I find it the only way to really keep on top of the changes that are made by our beloved CASA. I hate doing the updates every quarter but you can't do without it in my view.

Cheers

Richard

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike replied the topic: Re: Worth Spending $500 odd on AIP, CAO, CAR docs?

Forgive me here but I'm not quite sure how these updates work. I'm guessing that you subscribe to it and they send you out the current one and then quarterly or something they send you any changes that have been made and it just keeps going?

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Worth Spending $500 odd on AIP, CAO, CAR docs?

Hi SAM,

When you purchase your docs (for example at a pilot supply store), you normally choose the 12 mth subscription although for certain publications (like ERSA) you can just buy a one off edition.

You will then receive updates posted to the address you provide for the duration of your subscription according to the updates calendar .

You can maintain your subscriptions and extend them as necessary via the online store at the Air Services website or I suspect you can even do it at your local friendly pilot supply store.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds