Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× This is the forum where our students can discuss things relating to their studies or experiences they have had while studying Bob's courses. Please keep it clean, professional and of course entertaining!

Fate is the Hunter.

• Mark Bolton
  • Topic Author

Mark Bolton created the topic: Fate is the Hunter.

"Fate is the Hunter." Ernest K. Gann.

Have any of you read that book?

When I was working as a diver I read Moby Dick in my bunk. Of course that is a "must read" for any of us privileged enough to be literate.

I cant help but think, EKG was influenced by Herman Melville, just in terms of style.

"Fate is the Hunter" - the book, has, for me, also given rise to experiences that demand explanation along supernatural lines.

Anyone else ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Fate is the Hunter.

Hi Mark,

Brilliant book though it's been donkeys years since I read it. Checked it out on Amazon when I couldn't find my copy. It's still a good seller. Another one of my faves is Richard Bach. Yeah I know he's a bit thick on the esoterica sometimes but he can start you thinking Big Thoughts. Saint-Exupery's books are wonderful too. They're all written by flyers and their love of flight is evident on every page.

Thanks for the reminder, I think I'll check out Gann again.

Happy New Year!

• Mark Bolton
  • Topic Author

Mark Bolton replied the topic: Re: Fate is the Hunter.

Delighted to hear you are familiar with it. I have heard it criticised as being too melodramatic and swashbuckling. That is what I liked about it. I reckon Gann was being more than a bit tongue in cheek and that is part of the charm of the book.

Same way as some people seem to "not get" Moby Dick, only the other way round. I am baffled when I read study guides on Moby Dick droning on seriously about symbolism etc ,sure, but don't miss the point. It's really just a big fish story. Melville sends it up rotten right through the whole book.

I would urge anyone who has high brow tastes to give it a go on those terms. It's more than just a yellow back.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds