Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× This is the forum where our students can discuss things relating to their studies or experiences they have had while studying Bob's courses. Please keep it clean, professional and of course entertaining!

Pioneers of the skies

• Down with everything
  • Topic Author

Down with everything created the topic: Pioneers of the skies

I,m sure many of you out there have family or friends that have a very rich flying history. We must make sure that it all gets documented and kept for the future generations of aviators . It's only a few years to go and all our pioneering pilots and crew will be gone . Lets make sure that if any of these amazing people live in your town that you look them up and go say hello and have a cup of tea.Your life will be so much richer for the experience. Do not delay !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Pioneers of the skies

That is so true mate. When I used to live in North London, there was a quiet unassuming old fella who used to visit our local pub and move off to quietly sip his pint in the corner. We only knew him as "Monty" but when we got chatting to him one day, it turned out he was ex-RAF and a Spitfire pilot from the Battle of Britain. We plied him with ale and got to hear a few of his stories but no where near enough of them.

I never saw him again and later heard he had died, taking all his stories with him. I agree with you, if you ever have the chance, you should chase up some of the old pilots (not just the wartime ones either). You will be guaranteed a fascinating afternoon.

Actually at this point it is worth recommending a wonderful book "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann. What an amazing time to be in aviation and what incredible situations these guys got into - and unfortunately didn't always get out of again.

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds