Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

ALA's and permitted documents

• james.niven
  • Topic Author

james.niven created the topic: ALA's and permitted documents

Just did a cyber practice exam and got asked a question about obstacle free area gradients (CWLA_107). To the best of my knowledge this is specified in CAAP 92-1 and I'm guessing the CASR neither of which are permitted documents for the CPL exam. I'm I correct in my thinking or have I missed a massive section of the AIP :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: ALA's and permitted documents

No you haven't missed anything. ALAs and obstacle free gradients are indeed handled by CAAP 92-1 which is just an advisory document to help pilots satisfy the requirements of CAR 92-A.

CAR 92-A only says you can land anywhere as long as "having regard to all the circumstances of the proposed landing or take‑off (including the prevailing weather conditions), the aircraft can land at, or take‑off from, the place in safety". Not much practical advice there, hence the CAAP.

As you suspected, you won't get specifics on the attributes of ALA's in the exam because you won't have the CAAPs as a reference. However, it's quite an important topic and you should make sure you're aware of it for your real-life flying.

Cheers,

Rich

• james.niven
  • Topic Author

james.niven replied the topic: Re: ALA's and permitted documents

Good to know that I'm not supposed to have committed all the CAAPs to memory :blink:

Have been trying to read through all the documents in an effort to improve my overall knowledge, imagine some of it may come in handy for flight-test orals and, dare I say it, interviews.... :dry:

• james.niven
  • Topic Author

james.niven replied the topic: Re: ALA's and permitted documents

Hmmm.. Should have read the CAAP on Maintenance Releases better :huh:

93% overall, let myself down on Airspace Requirements and Procedures (question on entry lanes that still has me baffled as to which could have been the right answer), Transponder use (got a feeling I misread and then misunderstood the question) and Damage and Defect Reporting (again not sure why I got this one wrong).

IREX on Friday and hopefully ATPL Law next week if I can get it booked :blink:

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: ALA's and permitted documents

Congratulations James! 93% is definitely a respecatable grade. Good luck with the IREX - do let us know how you get on.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds