Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Other aircraft on final and higher than you, do you need to give way on base?

• Thank you received: 0

Star Alliance created the topic: Other aircraft on final and higher than you, do you need to give way on base?

You are on base leg, and you notice an aircraft on final but higher than you.
You should:
A. Give way to the aircraft on final
B. Broadcast your position and continue approach, expect that aircraft will give way.

I really don't know what's the meaning of "on final but higher than you", is that a straight-in approach? Otherwise how can an aircraft on final higher than aircraft on base? ? ?

Does anyone sat the exam and encounter it? Thanks a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Other aircraft on final and higher than you, do you need to give way on base?

The answer is B: Broadcast your position and continue approach, expect that aircraft will give way.

Attachments:

Star Alliance replied the topic: Other aircraft on final and higher than you, do you need to give way on base?

Thanks for your reply! But I still don't understand if "on final but higher than you" is a straight-in approach? CASA always make the words confusing. Could you please explain this point?

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Other aircraft on final and higher than you, do you need to give way on base?

If the other aircraft is on final and higher, it usually means the higher aircraft is making a straight-in approach.

The higher aircraft may be three or more miles out.

Attachments:

Star Alliance replied the topic: Other aircraft on final and higher than you, do you need to give way on base?

Thanks a lot for your explanation! I will choose your answer if I really encounter this in exam. Hopefully CASA thinks in this way as well lol.

• rodgilbody@gmail.com

rodgilbody@gmail.com replied the topic: Other aircraft on final and higher than you, do you need to give way on base?

I would choose A.

I believe the question is being specifically directed to CAR 162 (6)

"........but the latter shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of the other that is on final approach to land."

If they are in the circuit then they are ahead of you in the circuit and the fact that you are below them does not give you the right to cut in front of them.

I agree that the assumption that the other aircraft is on a straight-in approach complicates/changes the answer but I think you are looking for exceptions. Yes those on a straight-in approach should give way to traffic in the circuit, and if I was told the aircraft was on a straight-in approach then I would choose B. But practically if Jetstar was on Final I don't think I would push in form of him in a GA aircraft. The question never mentioned anything about the other aircraft being on a straight in approach, you have made that assumption. I agree it is a reasonable assumption.

Similarly it also did not mention if the aircraft was a glider. If you assume the aircraft was glider on Final and higher than you then you would have to give way to the glider. So if the other aircraft is a glider the answer is B.

In short do not assume things that are not provided in the question, especially when there is a CAR that specifically deals with the provided situation.

Time to create page: 0.346 seconds