Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Law Exam

• Rbow0000
  • Topic Author

Rbow0000 created the topic: Law Exam

Hey guys, obligatory "I just failed my CPL Law exam" and had a confusing one I was wanting some help with if possible...

You are cruising VFR in Class G Airspace below a cloud base of 5000ft, and above terrain of 2500ft, with a magnetic track of 228°, what cruising level would you use while conforming to the 'table of cruising levels'

A) No appropriate level
B) A045
C) A040
D) A035

I chose 'A' because you can't fly at 4500ft in accordance with the table of cruising levels and maintain 1000ft separation , and a friend chose 'C' because below 5000ft you aren't fully restricted to table of cruising levels and have 1000ft separation from cloud. And it seems we both got this question wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!
Chris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SJM

SJM replied the topic: Law Exam

Hey Chris,
In sample papers, these questions ask for the lowest level.
Draw a situation diagram (showing height of terrain, height of cloud base, difference between terrain and cloud base).

AIP ENR 1.2 Table 2.5, Item 3 says for Aeroplanes...
AIP ENR 1.7-3.1.4 says...
Let's look at the different options
A ) No appropriate level - this could be a candidate answer subject to the other options
B ) A045 - We're more than 1000ft AGL and more than 3000 AMSL, so Table 2.5 item 3 does not apply, but item 2 applies and says we must be 1000ft vertically separated from cloud, which we're not when the base is 5,000 - so this won't work. No need to look at cruising levels.
C) A040 - We're more than 1000ft AGL and more than 3000 AMSL, so Table 2.5 item 2 applies and we 1000 ft below the cloud base. It also meets the requirements of AIP ENR 1.7-3.1.4 as we're below 5,000 feet AMSL - this is a candidate answer
D) A035 - We're 1000ft AGL so Table 2.5 item 3 applies! We can remain clear of cloud; and we're still compliant with AIP ENR 1.7-3.1.4 - this is a candidate answer

Now I suspect the question was asking the lowest compliant level, in this case the answer is D: A035

Anytime you have cruising level questions, reference ENR 1.2 section 2; and ENR 1.7 crusing tables. They go hand in hand.

• Rbow0000
  • Topic Author

Rbow0000 replied the topic: Law Exam

Thank you very much for the reply, it is much appreciated!

I feel a lot better about possibly getting this as a repeat question on my re-sit...

Cheers, Chris

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds