Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Need some clarification on a exam question

• Wostrick
  • Topic Author

Wostrick created the topic: Need some clarification on a exam question

Questions is :
Your company operates under CAO 48.1 Appendix 5 2019

In the fortnight prior to the end of a proposed FDP your off-duty periods must include an off-duty period of at least-

Answers;
a. 36 hours including two consecutive days off plus the intervening night
b. 24 hours including the hours from 0600 to 1800 LMT
c. 12 hours including the hours from 0900 to 1700 LMT
d. 36 hours including two consecutive nights off plus the intervening day.... Incorrect

Your answer is incorrect.
Appendix 5 para 5.2 (a)

You must have 36 hours off including two local nights. That makes the answer 36 hours including two consecutive days off plus the intervening night

The correct answer is: 36 hours including two consecutive days off plus the intervening night...

To be honest i'm just not sure how that answer was made for the CAO extract..

Thanks in advance, Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Need some clarification on a exam question

G'day Will

Could please tell is the question in the book if so page number or an online Exam prep

Cheers

• Wostrick
  • Topic Author

Wostrick replied the topic: Need some clarification on a exam question

Hi Stuart

It was the online Prac exam #1 . Question 39.. Many thanks

• BrisbaneRob

BrisbaneRob replied the topic: Need some clarification on a exam question

Probably should also note this question comes up in the textbook: Appendix 5 Research Questions pg.134, Question 12. The answer listed for this question was two consecutive nights and the following day.

I should probably also point out that this isn't the only question that the online exam has that differs to the textbook. In my online exam I had this question come up: "Your company operates under the requirements of CAO 48.1 Appendix 4 2019
As a flying instructor you are assigned to commence a FDP at midday LMT. Any flying training conducted during this FDP must be completed by:"
Answer given was "Appendix 4 para 2.2
Any flying training must be completed in the first 7 hours of a FDP. If you commenced the FDP at midday, you would have to complete it by 1200 + 7 = 1900.
The correct answer is: 1900 LMT"

Comparatively to the textbook question (exactly the same) which states the answer is: "If your flight time exceeds 7 hours in a FDP and you provide flight instruction, then that flight instruction must be provided during the first 7 hours of your flight time, and not the first 7 hours of your FDP. So if you start an FDP at midday LMT, you can be assigned and work the entire FDP of 10 hours." Appendix 5 Research Questions pg. 123 Question 2.

• Stuart Tait

To correctly answer this question, you must know the difference between flight time and flight duty period (see definitions). If your flight time exceeds 7 hours in a FDP and you provide flight instruction, then that flight instruction must be provided during the first 7 hours of your flight time, and not the first 7 hours of your FDP. So if you start an FDP at midday LMT, you can be assigned and work the entire FDP of 10 hours.

I'll check the online exams I must have missed that one

Cheers

• MEADE1990

MEADE1990 replied the topic: Need some clarification on a exam question

I too got these qustions wrong online and right in the book.
Attachments:

• BStanmore

BStanmore replied the topic: Need some clarification on a exam question

Stuart,

I got the same question and wondering what the result is with it mate?

Is it A) 36 hours including two consecutive days off plus the intervening night
or D) 36 hours including two consecutive nights off plus the intervening day

Online exam prep 1.

Another one too mate similar to another referenced below; (also exam prep 1)

Your company conforms to the requirements of CAO 48.1 instrument 2019 Appendix 1

As a flying instructor, you commenced a FDP at 0900 LMT. The latest time at which you can conduct flying training with a student is

Select one:
1600 LMT
1800 LMT.....INCORRECT
1700 LMT
0100 LMT on the next day

Feedback
Appendix 1 para 2.6
The correct answer is: 1600 LMT

Para 2.6 limited flight training to the first 7 hours of the FDPs flight time...Not the first 7 hours of the FDP generally.

Thanks heaps for the help

• Stuart Tait

I'll go through them today and get back to you, CASA is tweaking things at the moment and we're working to keep everything in sync. Those questions might need some rewording.

• BStanmore

BStanmore replied the topic: Need some clarification on a exam question

Stuart,

A couple more for you mate if you don't mind!

From Online Exam 2;

Your company operates according to the requirements of CAO 48.1 Appendix 1 instrument 2019

As a flying instructor, you commenced a FDP at 0900 LMT. The latest time at which you can conduct flying training with a student is-

Select one:
a. 2100 LMT
b. 1600 LMT
c. 0100 LMT on the next day
d. 1800 LMT........ Incorrect

Feedback
Appendix 1 para 2.6

Again with the issue of the FDP's in relation to flight instructing being in your first 7 hours FLIGHT TIME but not FDP.

Online Exam 3;

Your company operates under the requirements of CAO 48.1 Appendix 4 2019

As a flying instructor you are assigned to commence a FDP at midday LMT. Any flying training conducted during this FDP must be completed by

Select one:
a. 2000 LMT
b. the end of the FDP........... Incorrect
c. 1900 LMT
d. 1700 LMT

Feedback
Appendix 4 para 2.2

Any flying training must be completed in the first 7 hours of a FDP. If you commenced the FDP at midday, you would have to complete it by 1200 + 7 = 1900.

The correct answer is: 1900 LMT

SAME ISSUE as above...

Another:
Your company conforms to the requirements of CAO 48.1 instrument 2019 Appendix 1

As a flying instructor, you commenced a FDP at 0900 LMT. The latest time at which you can conduct flying training with a student is

Select one:
1800 LMT Incorrect
1600 LMT
0100 LMT on the next day
1700 LMT

Feedback
Appendix 1 para 2.6

SAME AGAIN as above...

ANOTHER (but this one is different):

Your company operates under the requirements of CAO 48.1 Appendix 5 2019

You have been rostered to an FDP commencing at 1230 LMT with four hours split duty rest with sleeping accommodation commencing at 1530 LMT. The operation is a single pilot operation, The latest time at which this FPT must be completed is-

Select one:
a. 2130 LMT
b. 2230 LMT
c. 0300 LMT on the next day
d. 2300 LMT

Feedback
Appendix 5 para 2.1

THIS THEN COMES WITH a table that explains it and it refers to Para 2.3 which puts a limit of 6 hours of FDP after a rest period and so the answer is explained to be 0130...So i think this one is a typo?????

ANOTHER (this one I'm not 100% on and need some clarification on wording)

Your company operates under the requirements of CAO 48.1 Appendix 1 2019

You commenced a FDP at 1000 LMT. At one of the landing aerodromes you punctured a nose wheel tyre. You arrange to have it replaced. The latest time at which you should return to base is-

Select one:
a. 2000 LMT
b. 2100 LMT
c. 1900 LMT Incorrect
d. 1930 LMT
Feedback
Appendix 1 para 3.1

The correct answer is: 2000 LMT

For me the key word here is "SHOULD" so i assume it means without any changes to the normal you would be required to be back by 1900... Even though you "COULD" extend that by 1 hour to 2000 IF NEEDED...? Am I reading to much into that one?

THANKS HEAPS for you help on this mate its much appreciated! I want to get this nailed as I have my exam this Friday morning...

Cheers

• Stuart Tait

Answer is (d). Reference is App 1. Para 2.2 and 2.6. To correctly answer this question, you must know the difference between flight time and flight duty period (see definitions). If your flight time exceeds 7 hours in an FDP and you provide flight instruction, then that flight instruction must be provided during the first 7 hours of your flight time, and not the first 7 hours of your FDP. So, if you start an FDP at 0900 LMT, you can be assigned and work the entire FDP of 9 hours. (Your correct)

Answer is (b). Reference is App 4. Para 2.2 and Table 2.1. To correctly answer this question, you must know the difference between flight time and flight duty period (see definitions). If your flight time exceeds 7 hours in an FDP and you provide flight instruction, then that flight instruction must be provided during the first 7 hours of your flight time, and not the first 7 hours of your FDP. So, if you start an FDP at midday LMT, you can be assigned and work the entire FDP of 10 hours. (your correct)

Same as question 1 (your correct)

Answer is (c). Reference is App 5. Para 2.1 and para 2.3 and Table 1.1. An FDP starting at 1230 LMT can be a maximum of 11 hours. A 4 hour rest period with sleeping accommodation starts at 1530 LMT. If an FDP contains a split-duty rest period of at least 3 hours with suitable sleeping accommodation, then the maximum FDP may be increased by the duration of the split-duty rest period, or in this case, by 4 hours to a maximum of 15 hours. This means that the FDP must finish no later than 0330 LMT the next day. (your correct)

We've reworded this question

Your company operates under CAO 48.1 Instrument 2019 Appendix 1. You commenced an FDP at 1000 LMT. At one of the landing aerodromes you punctured a nose wheel tyre and suffered delay. You arrange to have it replaced but cannot now complete your operation without extending time. The latest time at which you can return to base, assuming you need to extend time and do not exceed any cumulative flight time limits, is ----

Answer is (c). Reference is App 1. Para 2.2 and 3.1. You can work an FDP of 9 hours if your FDP starting time was 1000 LMT. That means your FDP must end at 1900. However, in this case, your FDP has commenced, an unforeseen operational circumstance has arisen and you need to extend operations to complete the duty. In these circumstances, you may, at your discretion, extend your FDP by a maximum of one hour, or until 2000 LMT.

Looks like your well over the subject you should have no trouble with the exam

I'll get all the questions updated today

all the best

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds