Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Question about No. 8 of Exam Prep 3

• Kenting
  • Topic Author

Kenting created the topic: Question about No. 8 of Exam Prep 3

Hi folks,
I got a question in doubt when I did the question 8 in Exam Prep 3. The question is:

Fuel tank vents must be checked for freedom from obstruction -
Select one:
a) before the first flight of each day
b) before each take-off
c) before each flight
d) after each refuelling

The answer is a) but I checked the Schedule 5 and item 12 said "Check that the fuel tank filler caps, chains, vents and associated access panels are secure and free from damage". It doesn't contain meaning of "freedom from obstruction" whatsoever.

So i just selected c). Am I missing something out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Question about No. 8 of Exam Prep 3

If you are going to check that the fuel vents are 'free from damage', I think that you could consider a hornet's nest in the vent as 'damage'. I'm sure that would be the intended meaning. I don't see a pilot finding an obstruction in the vent and deciding to ignore it because the CAR doesn't doesn't specify that as an obstruction is 'damage.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenting

• Kenting
  • Topic Author

Kenting replied the topic: Question about No. 8 of Exam Prep 3

What you said is totally understandable and for sure in real life we would always check if it is free from obstruction even CAR doesn't specify that. Just because it is an Law exam and sometimes the "exactly wordings" may be what they want to test on. I am not sure if CASA will be that tricky in the exam.

I agree that a law exam is all about exact wording and it's good to see that you are taking that seriously, it's the wise thing to do. However, I can assure you that CASA do consider a blockage in a vent as 'damage'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kenting

• Kenting
  • Topic Author

Kenting replied the topic: Question about No. 8 of Exam Prep 3

Thank you bob.

By the way I've finally found CAO20.2.5.3 does say "The operator and pilot in command must ensure, before the commencement of each day's flying, all external fuel tank vents are inspected for freedom from obstruction."

Cheers

Thanks for that. I'll put that extra reference in the book.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds