Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Practice test one

• Dobbo
  • Topic Author

Dobbo created the topic: Practice test one

Hi All,

Back after a long absence and back on air law.

I was hoping to get an explanation for the answer to question 42 on Air Law Final Practice Test one. Answer is (C).
Q. Distance for a single engine VFR passenger carrying charter over water to be within what distance from land.
AIP 1.1, 11.12.2. 25 NM for a passenger carrying charter.

Thanks in advance:

Dobbo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Practice test one

The question actually says you are planning a flight to an off-shore island. The AIP says that the distance from land must not exceed 25nm. So, if an off-shore island was 50nm from the coast, you could do that flight over water since you would never be more than 25nm from land.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dobbo

• lucasgozzard

lucasgozzard replied the topic: Practice test one

Hi Bob,

The question doesn't stipulate an off-shore island. It just says over-water. This is where I'm confused also as to why the answer is C.

Cheers.

Lucas.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Practice test one

I think the question actually says 'the distance between land masses'. An off-shore island would qualify, as would a flight across a large lake, bay or gulf.

It is also legal to conduct a charter in a single-engine aircraft up to 25nm off-shore (say to a reef) and 25nm back again. That's a total of 50nm over water. My company often did such fights in a Cessna 172 with the full knowledge of CASA. All that is required is to carry life jackets, submit flight details and get a met forecast.

In that case, the mainland serves as a land mass for both the departure and destination.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds