Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Schedule 8 - maintenance by a pilot

• Rhino2018
  • Topic Author

Rhino2018 created the topic: Schedule 8 - maintenance by a pilot

Hi all,

I sat the CASA CPL Air Law exam recently and was a bit perplexed when I got a question wrong regarding the maintenance a pilot is permitted to carry out under CAR Schedule 8. The question focused on maintenance of spark plugs on a Class B aircraft.

The question was to the effect of:

"can pilots do the following:

- Remove and adjust the gap on the spark plugs?"

CAR 1988 Schedule 8 specifies a pilot may do the following:

12. "Replacement, cleaning, or setting gaps of spark plugs".

The thing is that it appears CASA and I both agree that "removal" is not the same as "replacement". For example, line 19 and 20 of Schedule 8 specify "removal or replacement of equipment used for agricultural purposes", and "removal or replacement of glider hooks". It implies that removal and replacing are two different things, of which I agree.

Given this logic, I answered "no, the pilot can't do that" as my thought process is that you can't just remove the spark plug - you must replace it (one less spark plug obviously leading to a loss of efficiency and redundancy). However, I got the question wrong.

Could anybody possibly shed some light on this/care to share their opinion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Schedule 8 - maintenance by a pilot

I think maybe you are over-reading the question. To me, replacement implies that removal occurs first. If I told you to replace a book on the shelf, you must have removed it in the first pace. A pilot can remove a spark plug, clean and reset the gaps, and then replace it.

By the way, Schedule 8 says that the pilot can legally do a number of things that would, in practice, require some previous experience and/or knowledge, such as setting spark plug gaps, removing and repairing tires, and greasing wheel bearings. I guess it was written in the days when it was left to you to exercise some common sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds