Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Couple of questions for you.

• Dan
  • Topic Author

Dan created the topic: Couple of questions for you.

Good Afternoon Bob,

I two questions im hoping you can help with...

1. is related to smoking in an aircraft.

CAR255 states that smoking in an aircraft is prohibited when a noticed is permanently displayed or during a period when smoking is prohibited. (take-off, landing, refuelling and toilets)
CAO 14.1.1 states that you must ORALLY brief the passengers when smoking is prohibited and the prohibition of smoking in the toilets.

My question is if Casa ask "what is the law regarding smoking in an aircraft?"

1. A sign must be displayed stating no smoking is permitted.
2. A sign AND you must orally brief the pax on the prohibition of smoking.
3. orally brief the pax (not likely since the CAR says a sign must be displayed).

I have read that the sign only is the correct response but im not sure how that came to be since also orally briefing the passengers seems to be a requirement since the CAO says "shall" .

Question 2.

Changing levels when instructed to by ATC.

AIP ENR. 4.1.6 states that a pilot must report when leaving a level at which level flight conducted in the course of climb, cruise and decent.

In my limited flight experience I have never reported when leaving a level only what level i have been assigned.

1.ATC - descend to four thousand five hundred
My response - " down to four thousand five hundred, alpha bravo charlie"

Should it be -

2.ATC - descend to four thousand five hundred
My response - "leaving six thousand five hundred for four thousand five hundred, alpha bravo charlie"

OR -

3. ATC - descend to four thousand five hundred
My response - "leaving six thousand five hundred, alpha bravo charlie"

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Dan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikee1

mikee1 replied the topic: Couple of questions for you.

Dan did you get an answer to these questions... i had the exact same ones and the exact same thought on them!
Confusing

• Dan
  • Topic Author

Dan replied the topic: Couple of questions for you.

Hi Mate,

I have the following answers from Bob (answers marked with ****):

1. is related to smoking in an aircraft.

CAR255 states that smoking in an aircraft is prohibited when a noticed is permanently displayed or during a period when smoking is prohibited. (take-off, landing, refuelling and toilets)
CAO 14.1.1 states that you must ORALLY brief the passengers when smoking is prohibited and the prohibition of smoking in the toilets.

My question is if Casa ask "what is the law regarding smoking in an aircraft?”

1. A sign must be displayed stating no smoking is permitted.
2. A sign AND you must orally brief the pax on the prohibition of smoking.
3. orally brief the pax (not likely since the CAR says a sign must be displayed).

I have read that the sign only is the correct response but im not sure how that came to be since also orally briefing the passengers seems to be a requirement since the CAO says "shall” .

****CAR 255 applies so smoking is prohibited during take-off or landing or in toilets and in any area where a sign is displayed. However CAO 20.11.14.1.1 also says that the rules for smoking must be explained during the pre-takeoff passenger brief. So all of these rules apply.****

Question 2.

Changing levels when instructed to by ATC.

AIP ENR. 4.1.6 states that a pilot must report when leaving a level at which level flight conducted in the course of climb, cruise and decent.

In my limited flight experience I have never reported when leaving a level only what level i have been assigned.

1.ATC - descend to four thousand five hundred
My response - " down to four thousand five hundred, alpha bravo charlie"

Should it be -

2.ATC - descend to four thousand five hundred
My response - "leaving six thousand five hundred for four thousand five hundred, alpha bravo charlie"

OR -

3. ATC - descend to four thousand five hundred
My response - "leaving six thousand five hundred, alpha bravo charlie”

****You should read back the assigned new altitude and also report ‘left’ the current level.****

Question 3.

Who can carry out maintenance on a plane?. Can an RPL holder sign the release and carry out maintenance or only a PPL holder can actually carry out maintenance?

I have found conflicting information on Casa's website.

*****You might find this thread of interest. www.bobtait.com.au/forum/air-law/5408-wh...out-maintenance*****

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds