Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

FDP (tour of duty) discrepancy in the CAO 48.1

• Crankshaft
  • Topic Author

Crankshaft created the topic: FDP (tour of duty) discrepancy in the CAO 48.1

In the CAO 48.1 about FDP, the CAO 48.1.4 says ‘Flight time shall not exceed 8 hrs in any tour of duty’.
But in Appendix1 2.3 says ‘the flight time mustn’t exceed 7 hrs on any one day’.
I can’t figure which clause is prior.
Can somebody help me with this wording problem?Do they contradict each other?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: FDP (tour of duty) discrepancy in the CAO 48.1

Which appendix are you referring to?

• Crankshaft
  • Topic Author

Crankshaft replied the topic: FDP (tour of duty) discrepancy in the CAO 48.1

I referred to CAO 48.1 Appendix 1.

I'm looking at CAO 48.1 Appendix 1. I can see para 2.3, that says 7 hours in any one day, but in paragraph 48.1.4 I see only reference to Off-duty period limits. I can't see any mention of 8 hours flight time. Can you give me some more details?

• Crankshaft
  • Topic Author

Crankshaft replied the topic: FDP (tour of duty) discrepancy in the CAO 48.1

You got the correct paragraph in CAO 48.1 Appendix 1-2.3 Bob..But the CAO 48.1.1.4 says ‘pilot cannot be arranged to fly exceeding 8 hrs flight time in any one of duty’.They both contradict each other.

OK, now I get it! There are two separate versions of CAO 48.1. The 'old' version says the flight time limit in any one tour of duty is 8 hours. That is always the same for every flight. The 'new' version is called 48.1 Instrument 2013, and it has a number of appendices that relate to different types of operation. You are looking at Appendix 1 which stipulates a 7 hour limit for flight time in any one day.

An operator may adopt either system to apply to his company, and an exam question will always have to indicate which system your operator is using.

So you see, both 8 hours and 7 hours are correct. It depends on which system you are working with.

• benfrenchh

benfrenchh replied the topic: FDP (tour of duty) discrepancy in the CAO 48.1

my CAO (bought from pilot shop WA) only has the new CAO 48 (2013) not the old part, might they include the old part in the exam still? if so why is it not in the document? exam is on 11/1/18

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds