Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Distance limitations for CHTR over Water

• Sasut2
  • Topic Author

Sasut2 created the topic: Distance limitations for CHTR over Water

Hi Bob and Team,

Just cramming for my CPL law exam with the help of your book and stumbled across something that confused me a little.

Air law final practice exam 1, question 42:
For a VFR passenger carrying CHTR flight over water in a single engine aircraft, the distance between land areas suitable for an emergency landing shall be no greater than:
a) 30 mins at cruise TAS; b) 25nm; c) 50nm or d) No restriction on VFR overwater flight

I looked up the reference in the AIP which I have pasted below:

For some reason the answer section indicates that C is correct [50nm] but after having a quick look through the documents, I can't seem to find any exception to the AIP section I have attached.

Have I missed something?

Regards,
Shaun
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Distance limitations for CHTR over Water

Paragraph 8.12.2 above says the distance between land masses suitable for a forced landing must not exceed 25nm. That means you could fly between two land masses that were 50nm apart since you would never be more than 25nm from a land mass. In the middle of that flight you would be 25nm from the land behind you and 25nm from the land ahead.

• Sasut2
  • Topic Author

Sasut2 replied the topic: Distance limitations for CHTR over Water

That is actually fantastic! I had a little chuckle when I read this reply. I wish I had realised it was that simply. Thank you very much Bob I knew I must have missed something.

Also I listened to your podcast from the ABC the other day and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your story it was very interesting to listen to.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Distance limitations for CHTR over Water

Glad to be of help. All the best with your study.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds