Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Few questions about over water and HF radios

• bravenau
  • Topic Author

bravenau created the topic: Few questions about over water and HF radios

I have a bit difficulties on finding references for these questions

1)The requirement of over water flights - I can find a line saying the flight should stay in a distance where if the engine failed the aircraft could still land on the land in CAR ,but with CASA exam question asking whether i need a HF radio ,forecast , stay within 50 nm i cannot answer the quesiton.

2) HF radio - I found a lot of questions regarding HF radio and I dont know where to look.CAO does said instruments that have to be carried on board but it has not mentioned anything about radios. I encountered a question asking if you have 2 VHF and 1 ELT do you have to have 1 HF radio on boards and I got it wrong by answering no because ELT is on board

3)The defects report. I still not really understand how to classify the immediate reporting items, what to do with maintenance release when the air speed indicator broke or the aircraft got over crosswind.I know CAR part 42 mentioned maintenance but I could not find a clue with it .

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• calmpilot

calmpilot replied the topic: Few questions about over water and HF radios

Hi mate

I have had same question 3) at the exam.

for the answer you should look at the following i think:

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - REG 51A

Reporting of defects in Australian aircraft: major defects
(1) This regulation applies to major defects:

(a) that have caused, or that could cause, a primary structural failure in an aircraft; or

(b) that have caused, or that could cause, a control system failure in an aircraft; or

(c) that have caused, or that could cause, an engine structural failure in an aircraft; or

(d) caused by, that have caused, or that could cause, fire in an aircraft.

(2) If a person connected with the operation of, or the carrying out of maintenance on, an Australian aircraft discovers a defect in the aircraft, being a defect of a kind to which this regulation applies, the person must report the defect to CASA immediately.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(2A) An offence against subregulation (2) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability , see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code .

(3) A person must not prevent another person from reporting a defect of a kind to which this regulation applies.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(4) It is a defence to a prosecution under subregulation (2) if the person charged establishes:

(a) a reason for not being able to report the defect to CASA immediately; and

(b) that the reason was:

(i) by its nature such as to prevent the person reporting the defect to CASA immediately; or

(ii) that the defect required further investigation to discover the extent of the defect; and

(c) that the person reported the defect to CASA as soon as he or she was not prevented by the reason from doing so.

• calmpilot

calmpilot replied the topic: Few questions about over water and HF radios

In case I do appreciate if someone can answer the questions above specially Q.3 .

cheers

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds