Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Cleared versus make visual approach

• Judy1pilot
  • Topic Author

Judy1pilot created the topic: Cleared versus make visual approach

Given the question (sample questions set 2) When operating VFR by day and instructed by ATC to "make visual approach" which conditions apply to the descent? I was a bit confused.

I understand the reference to AIP enr 1.1 para 12.8.5 gives the answer that you must not descend below the lowest level permitted for a VFR flight. I have never heard the phrase "make visual approach" only "cleared visual approach" which usually means I have to pull the throttle asap to descend 500' to circuit height.

Does the phrase "make visual approach" usually apply to a longer distance from the circuit, I.e. 30 nm? Does "cleared visual approach" always mean a descent to circuit height and only used in close proximity to the aerodrome?

Thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duncan

Duncan replied the topic: Cleared versus make visual approach

Hey Judy,

As I far as I understand 'Cleared visual approach' and 'make visual approach' are referring to the same thing. If ATC say either of these to you then they are 'clearing' you to make a visual approach.

In any case, a clearance for a 'Visual Approach' means the following:

- ATC may authorise a 'Visual Approach' when you are within 30nm of the aerodrome (12.8.1 b)
- Once cleared to make a visual approach, you "must descend as necessary" (12.8.6), normally to circuit height (usually 1000ft AGL) but not below the lowest height permissible for VFR flight (CAR 157 - 500ft AGL, or 1000ft AGL over populated areas)
- Until you are within 5nm of the aerodrome, you "must maintain the track/heading on the route progressively authorised by ATC" (12.8.4 a)
- Once within 5nm, you may change track to join the circuit "as directed by ATC for an approach to the nominated runway" (12.8.4 b)

That's the long winded way but in short:

- Once ATC say "Cleared/Make Visual Approach", descend to circuit height
- Once within 5nm, manoeuvre as required to join the circuit in the manner they've asked you to (left base, etc)
- Land!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Duncan
-

• Duncan

Duncan replied the topic: Cleared versus make visual approach

Sorry, think I said that without actually answering the question!

The only answer that is true is A, the others are incorrect:

B - you can descend as soon as you are cleared to make a visual approach, you only have to wait until 5nm for changing HDG/TRK
C - there is a requirement for IFR flights to remain not less than 500ft above CTA lower limit (12.8.6 a-2) but not for VFR
D - As far as I can see, there is no requirement to descend within 1 minute of the 'Visual approach' clearance. I think this applies to assigned changes in level in CTA (ENR 1.7-8).

Cheers,
Duncan

• Judy1pilot
  • Topic Author

Judy1pilot replied the topic: Cleared versus make visual approach

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds