Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Turn onto Final completed by not less than 500ft AGL - all aerodromes?

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan created the topic: Turn onto Final completed by not less than 500ft AGL - all aerodromes?

Does a turn onto Final need to be completed by not less than 500ft AGL at all aerodromes or just in Class G?

AIP ENR 1.1 para 49.5.6 says that a turn onto final should be completed by not less than 500ft AGL. However, this is within the 'Operations within Class G Airspace' section and it's got me wondering whether a different rule applies for operations at towered aerodromes within controlled airspace?

Thanks!

Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan replied the topic: Turn onto Final completed by not less than 500ft AGL - all aerodromes?

Hi Bob/Rich,

Do you know about the above question - I hope it's not silly question!

Thanks,
Duncan

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Turn onto Final completed by not less than 500ft AGL - all aerodromes?

I am not aware of any reference that says it doesn't apply in CTA. Surely there must be an expected height for final in a CTR or can a 777 turn onto final at 50 feet in a control zone?

I know that a controller often authorises a 'low level circuit' at Class D aerodromes but I have never seen any justification for it in any CASA document. Up until a few years ago, there was no height specified for the turn onto final. The only requirement was that final had to be 500 meters long. But that has been replaced by the current requirement for the turn to be completed by 500 feet AGL.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds