Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CAO 48.1 2013 Instrument practice question - error or misunderstanding?

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan created the topic: CAO 48.1 2013 Instrument practice question - error or misunderstanding?

I've just tried research question #2 for Appendix 4 of the CAO 48.1 2013 instrument, on page 114 of the CPL Air Law book. I came to a different answer than the one given in the book and I'm not sure whether I'm correct or I've misunderstood? My 'working' is as follows:

•The question states that "you have just completed a 14h FDP with a split-duty rest period" and asks "when is the earliest you can report to work for another FDP?"
•Therefore, I applied Appendix 4 section 3 (Increase in FDP limits by split duty), specifically 3.2 which states that "...the first 4 hours of the split-duty rest period may be reduced by 50% for the purpose of determining the subsequent off-duty period..."
•I took this to mean that I could take 2 hours off the FDP for the purpose of calculating the minimum off-duty period required
•This allowed me to reduce the FDP from 14h to 12h
•This then meant that, when calculating the off-duty period, section 8.1(b) applied (instead of 8.3, which the answer in the book uses) which brought me to a figure of 12h for the off duty period
•This gave me an earliest reporting time for the next FDP of 0830

I presume that by using the word 'may' (underlined and in bold above) that AOC has a choice as to whether to apply the 50% reduction to the first 4h of the split-duty rest period. I decided to apply it because the question asked for the "earliest you could report to work for another FDP".

Cheers,

Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan replied the topic: CAO 48.1 2013 Instrument practice question - error or misunderstanding?

Hi Bob/Rich,

Just wondering whether you've had a chance to look at my quesiton above referring to CAO 48.1 2013 instrument? I'm slightly confused and have my exam coming up on Thursday. Would be great to get some clarification if you get the chance :)

Thanks,
Duncan

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CAO 48.1 2013 Instrument practice question - error or misunderstanding?

It looks like the question needs rewording. Since the split duty rest period must be AT LEAST 4 hours, the question doesn't say how long it actually was. It could be that the 14 hours is the FDP after taking the two hours off. That could be the case if you had been provided with sleeping accommodation. Your reasoning is sound.

• benbouch@gmail.com

benbouch@gmail.com replied the topic: CAO 48.1 2013 Instrument practice question - error or misunderstanding?

Hi Bob.
I probably have your ammended question as I just got the book.. but same question:
I may be misunderstanding, but 16hr FDP ending at 2030, would have started at 0430.
With that FDP start time would we not apply para 3.4?
If so, b) FDP is now increased to 15 max, but 3.2 doesn't apply. How did we even get to 16 hr FDP?
Or am I out to lunch.
Bouch

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CAO 48.1 2013 Instrument practice question - error or misunderstanding?

OK Bouch, it looks like that question has fallen victim to multiple attempts by multiple persons to fathom the mysteries of 48.1. We have had a rewrite and the revised question is -
Attachments:

• benbouch@gmail.com

benbouch@gmail.com replied the topic: CAO 48.1 2013 Instrument practice question - error or misunderstanding?

Great, so I'm not crazy.. that is always good to hear.
Just look at your answers.. the written out answer is correct, but 12 noon isn't an option in your multiple choice.

Thanks for the quick reply.. cramming to get this in tomorrow... It's frustrating having a Cdn ATPL and having to relearn Law with very slight differences, but your products help a lot.
cheers
Bouch

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds