Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Downwind report?

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan created the topic: Downwind report?

I'm trying to answer Q17 on pg141 of the CPL Air Law book:

"Unless otherwise instructed a downwind report is mandatory during circuit training at an aerodrome which:
a) is engaged in circuit training at a Class D aerodrome
b) is within 10nm of a CTAF aerodrome
c) does not provide an ATC service
d) is within a primary control zone"

The answer is A. Not sure it reads correctly but I agree with that.

However, I thought that answer D was also correct? I thought that AIP ENR 14.4 'Downwind Report to Tower' was referring to any aerodrome within a CTZ?

Thanks,
Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan replied the topic: Downwind report?

Hi Bob/Rich,

I've just come across question again in the online exam practice and the explanation to the answer says:

'AIP ENR 1.1 para 14.4 refers to operations in Class D CTRs. You should make a downwind call if you are an arriving aircraft or are conducting circuit training in a Class D CTR. The correct answer is: Is arriving or flying circuit training within a Class D control zone'

However, I can't find any reference to Class D CTRs in para 14.4 - does this mean that technically, answer D is more broadly correct? Or can you have a non-controlled aerodrome within a CTR?

Thanks,
Duncan

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Downwind report?

You are correct. The requirement now applies to operations in any control zone. Although in the real world, the tower will often give instructions otherwise. I have reworded the questions that referred to it.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds